Skull Canteen Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skull Canteen Ring

Good morning guys, I just wanted to post a ring I acquired recently. NOT SS per-see but neither are bread boards.

Because of the current Forum weirdness I'll have to add the other pics on a separate post ..

Comment

And the 'Alpacca' mark and rear seam.

Hope you like it ... all comments are welcome.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Looks like the fairly rare “wehrwolf/freikorps” skull ring- a desirable piece for sure, I have only had a chance at one and it was gone before I could blink. Lots and lots of reproductions of this piece exist however and imho this looks like it might be one of them, based on what I am seeing. The enamel looks very new- I would test it with a hot pin to see if it’s not a quick-set plastic, or something else. The band is very thick and shows signs of casting, which may be in question these days evidently in honor ring construction, but not these. I don’t like the stamp or the seam either, but again- you have asked for all opinions, and this is honest and mine- only an opinion however, please don’t take offense (seems also to be common these days)... Personally, I would pass on this ring, but perhaps some other members have more insight here than me. Best of luck to you Ian,
        Byz

Comment

Originally posted by Byzanti View Post
          Looks like the fairly rare “wehrwolf/freikorps” skull ring- a desirable piece for sure, I have only had a chance at one and it was gone before I could blink. Lots and lots of reproductions of this piece exist however and imho this looks like it might be one of them, based on what I am seeing. The enamel looks very new- I would test it with a hot pin to see if it’s not a quick-set plastic, or something else. The band is very thick and shows signs of casting, which may be in question these days evidently in honor ring construction, but not these. I don’t like the stamp or the seam either, but again- you have asked for all opinions, and this is honest and mine- only an opinion however, please don’t take offense (seems also to be common these days)... Personally, I would pass on this ring, but perhaps some other members have more insight here than me. Best of luck to you Ian,
          Byz

Thank you for your valued opinion, NO offence is taken at all, it came as part of a grouping of ephemera and was not the main interest to me. I know nothing about rings and do not intend to start collecting them now of all times. They seem to be another aspect of the hobby that has become FAR too contentious.

How would you suggest I test it without damaging it in case it does happen to be real ? I assume a hot pin would not touch original enamel ?

Many thanks, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
            Thank you for your valued opinion, NO offence is taken at all, it came as part of a grouping of ephemera and was not the main interest to me. I know nothing about rings and do not intend to start collecting them now of all times. They seem to be another aspect of the hobby that has become FAR too contentious.

How would you suggest I test it without damaging it in case it does happen to be real ? I assume a hot pin would not touch original enamel ?

Many thanks, Ian.
            Ian
            A hot (and I mean red-hot) pin will not damage real
            Fired enamel. (Just touch it gently, of course- then add hand pressure). Quick-set enamels are plastic and will melt with the touch of the pin. Of course, this could still be a fired enamel on a repro piece, but at least one test will be complete on it...
            best
            Byz

Comment

This part here Ian doesn’t look like glass (the overall appearance should be rather more glassy/glossy than opaque like a plastic
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again for that ... I will try that test out in the next few days

Cheers for talking the time to answer.

Ian.

Comment

Finding this ring as a reproduction is hard.
                  Original very very hard! probably one of the hardest to find examples.
                  In my 10 year ring collecting i have only ever seen 4 of these original rings for sale.
                  I got two of them (two examples exist marked goldin and alpacca).

Ring shown here is reproduction, skull does not have detail like in the original, ring color is way weird, inside of the ring on the top edge you can see long cast line.

Comment

Thanks for that Alexx1.

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Hello Ian,

just for comparison, here's mine GOLDIN marked inside band.

I guess a different pattern exist by number of teeth

Ric
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 05-17-2018, 01:44 AM.

Comment

...and another one recently auctioned, I had in hands for close examination.

As a note this ring appears original althought restored, having the enamel replaced by a crude paint job.

If memory serves me well, no marking inside band.

Ric
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Ric Ferrari; 05-17-2018, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Thanking to Ian I had the chance to carefully check his skull ring in hands and comparing it with mine.

Well, I have to say that pics do not do justice to this beautiful ring, so I made my offer (accepted) to purchase it like an original one.

Btw, under magnification enamel appears by real glass and warm pin test confirms it.

The ring was made by neusilber having its silver finishing totally lost and content marking (alpacca) is struck in as it should be.

To end the ring do not show cast flaws anywhere

Ric

Comment

It was a pleasure to do business with you Ric, many thanks for your expertise and honesty.

Good hunting, Ian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X