SS Rottenfuhrer chevron for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Rottenfuhrer chevron for review

In looking at a number of examples online, I haven't seen one that has been stitched with this copper-colored thread. It doesn't have the 6+ year pip and it is most definitely black material.

This one puzzles me...

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

hi
    looks interesting to me too.
    I dont think that stiching is a criteria. May its field or foregein made.
    But looks original to me

Comment

Curious about this one. Anyone else have an opinion?

Comment

I would sincerely appreciate some guidance on this piece. I'd hate to have something in my collection that might not be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth2a View Post
          I would sincerely appreciate some guidance on this piece. I'd hate to have something in my collection that might not be right.
          looks to be original

All that happened, they have not change the reverse spool of thread to black on the sewing machine. We will never know why and can only speculate such as;

may be they were sewing camo on that machine before make chevrons ?

may be they ran out of black thread ?

We will never know for sure but it makes an interesting variation. Have seen such thread variation before on the odd item.

Put it in your collection and enjoy,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
            looks to be original

All that happened, they have not change the reverse spool of thread to black on the sewing machine. We will never know why and can only speculate such as;

may be they were sewing camo on that machine before make chevrons ?

may be they ran out of black thread ?

We will never know for sure but it makes an interesting variation. Have seen such thread variation before on the odd item.

Put it in your collection and enjoy,

Chris
            Chris, thank you for the info! In looking fairly deeply online and in a few books I have, I have not found a way to accurately determine whether this is SS or Panzer. Did they simply just use the same rank chevron interchangeably, or is there some subtle difference?

Comment

There really is no way to tell if it is SS or Heer Pz.

But I believe there were more Waffen SS Rottenfuhrers than army Obergefreiters who were authorized to wear a black wrapper. Also IMHO, the WSS was somewhat more likely to wear aluminum tresse than subdued / gray tresse. So, again IMHO, it is more likely an SS chevron (maybe a 60 / 40% chance?).

Alen

Comment

Originally posted by rbno View Post
                There really is no way to tell if it is SS or Heer Pz.

But I believe there were more Waffen SS Rottenfuhrers than army Obergefreiters who were authorized to wear a black wrapper. Also IMHO, the WSS was somewhat more likely to wear aluminum tresse than subdued / gray tresse. So, again IMHO, it is more likely an SS chevron (maybe a 60 / 40% chance?).

Alen
                As I suspected. Many thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X