X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Hauptscharführer-Engineer Tunic

This was in an auction in April.
    It fetched $6500.

I think that an SS Hauptscharführer is a pretty damned rare rank.
    Equivalent to a Sgt. Major, right?
    I thought that it might be interesting to see what the experts thought of it, in light of the Untersturmfuhrer tunic that was for sale for $18,000 at the SOS. You know, the one that got sold for $1800!!??!
    This tunic, in my opinion, would be much more interesting than the Untersturmfuhrer tunic.

Here is the description from the auction:
    A scarce tunic for an SS Hauptscharführer with black Waffenfarbe for Engineers. The tunic is constructed of field grade field grey wool with a slight brownish tint, which is somewhat exaggerated by the lighting in some of the images. 4 pleated patch pockets and a dark green collar. Machine sewn collar tabs with the unit tab being a flatwire bevo example, and the rank tab featuring ribbed black fabric. The underside of the collar is backed with artificial silk fabric which shows no extra stiching holes so the tunic has never had Army tabs installed. The collar is edged with aluminum NCO Tresse. The sleeve eagle is a flatwire aluminum bevo type to match the tabs. Slip on boards with 2 pips each. There is NO sign of the tunic having ever had a breast eagle. There are loops for 1 badge on the breast pocket and a 1939 Iron Cross II. Class ribbon sewn through the button hole. The interior of the tunic has the typical partial lining which appears to be unmarked. Because of the slight brown tinge to the fabric, it's possible the tunic was an SS-VT--Waffen SS transitional uniform. Regardless, it is a superb SS original.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful insignia, very nice flatwire. Tunic is obviously a tailor made piece with a lack of factory features, so it would take a hands on inspection on the tunic itself.

Besides a probable six-button front, there is nothing that indicates this is replica. Could very well be what it purports to be: a nice pioneer NCO tunic.

s/f Robert

Comment

Looks very nice, but the final verdict can only be made after an inspection IRL. IMO.

Comment

Very fine insignia

Ian

Comment

Thank you for the comments guys.
                I just thought that it was unusual for it to get sold for only the high $6000's.
                I would have thought that it would go higher.
                Maybe hat is because it is custom made, with no labelling in the inner lining and a 6 button tunic.
                Tim

Comment

It's because that is what someone would pay for it. These uniforms are only worth what someone is willing to pay. There are a few out there purchased for half the price of this one and they are 100% correct in all aspects. It is when someone who knows the game, perhaps a well known dealer or collector gets a hold of one that the prices are elevated.

A tunic I owned and paid around $1500 for and then traded it and the re-acquired it in another trade and then sold it for around $3000 to someone who really wanted it. then later saw it offered for around $6000 from a dealer and it is now with a different dealer for more than double that price. All within a 10 year period of time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X