Old style dienstrock in Waffen SS use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old style dienstrock in Waffen SS use

Any examples of old style (8 button/Weimar era) dienstrock uniforms in Waffen SS use to show?
    (plain, not geschonte Feldbluse with piping)
    Period pictures or surviving W-SS officer uniform examples ?

Of course much more common in the Heer...as shown here...even with junior officers who were not RW transfers...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 04-25-2018, 07:20 PM.

The commander of Handschar used an "old school" 8 botton dienstrock...
    Attached Files

Comment

But also worn by lower ranking officers...
      Again much more common in the army but I want to see 8 button Waffen SS examples...

Any more examples out there? (uniforms or period pictures to show?)
      Attached Files

Comment

Nick, I think that the top tunic shown in post 3 may be a Dutch tunic. The photo is well published and part of a series, but none that I have seen show all of the details. We see only seven button, not sure there is an eighth on this tunic. I do know that the very shallow pocket flaps, the wider pocket pleats and the way the sleeve lining is set back in the cuff combined with inside cuff seam are all characteristics of Dutch made and Dutch conversion tunics...at least for the most part. I'm not saying that similar characteristics can not be found on some German made tunics, but they are not common IMO.

Comment

Yeah could be. Dutch tailored ...meaning only 7 buttons and large external skirt pockets...
          (as opposed to German 8 buttons and internal angled skirt pockets...)

This one appears to be 7 buttons only and depicts Holland based SD, so most likely locally Dutch tailored...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by NickG; 04-25-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Here's another odd one...more prevalent with SD users... (probably 7 buttons)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by NickG; 04-25-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

And another standard "old School" 8 button "RW era rock anzug" in Waffen SS use.
              Most prevalent with older career soldiers (Field grade officers...here a Colonel, WW1 vet)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NickG; 04-25-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Let's do a couple more...
                SS Standartenfuhrer Greise (SS Polizei Division) posing with Himmler, wearing an 8 button rock (which gives it that Polizei look...)
                and W-SS Oberststurmfuhrer Gerhard Bremer (LAH) wearing a white version rock with 8 button army style closure.
                Attached Files

Comment

and Estonian volunteer RK trager Sturmbahnfuhrer Herald Riipalu wearing an old style 8 button rock adorned with Estonian Division insignia!
                  I love the old style 8 button look, far less common in the Waffen SS but seen as well in that branch!

Any more examples out there? (or surviving uniforms with SS insignia?)
                  Attached Files

Comment

I’ve seen other examples of these style tunics worn by Estonian officers. They may be eight button, I’m not positive, but note it has lower patch pockets so not RW style tunic IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                      I’ve seen other examples of these style tunics worn by Estonian officers. They may be eight button, I’m not positive, but note it has lower patch pockets so not RW style tunic IMO.
                      Riipalu wore Estonian pre war tunic IMO ,another photo exist which show sleve ends in Estonian style .

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                        Not a RW carry over uniform, I agree but still neat to see 8 button tunics in W-SS.

Originally posted by wehl View Post
                        Riipalu wore Estonian pre war tunic IMO ,another photo exist which show sleeve ends in Estonian style .
                        I agree it probably is Baltic/Estonian tailoring...(external skirt pockets) or a recycled Estonian tunic, but the color would be wrong....
                        some Estonian OFFICER (Riipalu) also had 2 distinct small buttons on the cuffs, probably an Estonian trait as well...(and Polizei dress)

Note prongs of rank pips going straight through the collar!

Caption: Obergruppenfuhrer Felix Steiner, commander of the 5th SS-Division Wiking, is seen here on August 23, 1944
                        awarding a Knight's Cross to Obersturmfuhrer Harald Riipalu (born February 13, 1912 in St. Petersburg, an Estonian volunteer).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 04-26-2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Mostly seen worn by senior officers...typical Weimar era RW rock cut...small chest pockets,
                          8 button count and internal slash/angled skirt pockets...
                          No other examples in W-SS use?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by NickG; 04-27-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Here another large button count tunic, but this example is actually Dutch tailored...
                            -External very large skirt pockets without pleats
                            - with huge flaps,
                            - very shallow French cuffs
                            - 7 button count
                            - buttons positioned close to the edge...
                            All typical Dutch tailor traits!

The second image is a Dutch Legion officer with a uniform showing the exact same traits...Dutch made.
                            (lacks skirt pocket pleats and again 7 buttons...)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by NickG; 04-27-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Wayde's book actually has an old style 8 botton dienstrock uniform in SS service showcased and even depicted on the cover!
                              Old school with skirt pockets and 8 buttons...Explained as GruppenFuhrer L.Debes' service uniform.
                              It has distinct Waffen SS General's gray edge and gray cuff piping.

This uniform style originated from the Reichswehr M20 army uniforms and was worn in the Weimar period also by early SS members
                              (as depicted with veterans insignia) and veteran's associations; stahlhelm etc...and converted for Third Reich use as well... (with M36 bottle green collar added or war time tailored using the old style cut...)

Last image an 8 button tunic with external skirt pockets worn by an SS General .
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by NickG; 04-28-2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X