Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on set of SS teaspoons

Hi
    Ive been offered a set of Teaspoons bearing SS insignia.
    I know very little about this type of item so am really uncertain as to their authenticity.
    They appear to be in the original case.
    They also seem to have been made this way, not altered in any way.
    Stamped 100 on the reverse so are silver plated, not silver.
    I would welcome opinions from anyone in the know.
    Many thanks

Last edited by rupertx; 03-30-2018, 05:46 AM. Reason: photographs added

Fantasy

Comment

Originally posted by prowler88 View Post
      Fantasy
      OK, thank you.

Please tell me what you are seeing that I am missing ?
      Im looking to learn here so any info would be most appreciated
      Regards

Comment

Fantasy rubbish.

Ian

Comment

In the last ten-fifteen years, we have seen an increase in spurious engravings, castings, and stampings on common use items like dinner flatware and the like. some are older pieces repurposed to be WWII items, others are ground-up fabrications.

The designs for such items are not in any of the prolific period catalogs, nor were any such items recovered in any veteran groupings or other period collections with provenance. Items such as AH silverware are an exception, of course.

Ebay and other peddlers of fantasy items are full of such things, however. For the fakers, it's an easy area to make some money as there are no originals of these pieces to compare them to, because the entire design is a fabrication.

Hope that helps.

s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by RobertE View Post
            In the last ten-fifteen years, we have seen an increase in spurious engravings, castings, and stampings on common use items like dinner flatware and the like. some are older pieces repurposed to be WWII items, others are ground-up fabrications.

The designs for such items are not in any of the prolific period catalogs, nor were any such items recovered in any veteran groupings or other period collections with provenance. Items such as AH silverware are an exception, of course.

Ebay and other peddlers of fantasy items are full of such things, however. For the fakers, it's an easy area to make some money as there are no originals of these pieces to compare them to, because the entire design is a fabrication.

Hope that helps.

s/f Robert
            Excellent answer Robert.

Thank you for your comprehensive response.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X