Veteran brought back officer eagle, early Belgium or Foreign made ?r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veteran brought back officer eagle, early Belgium or Foreign made ?r

This eagle was brought back from Italy by a New Zealand soldier and discussed on this thread;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=Trieste

It is an unusual style that I have been reading up on WAF and else where about.

Is it an early German made eagle, a Belgium made eagle or made else where in the Reich other than Germany ?

Any advise or experience with these would be appreciated,

Chris
    Attached Files

In this thread, John Pic expressed caution about this type of SS officer eagle;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...r+eagle&page=3

Originally posted by John Pic View Post
    Its nicely made but I would not trust it based on the wing embroidery.

It may be its nicely mad ,but I wouldnt buy it bassed on the wing structure, the wings are made just like the fake versions of this eagle are made.

Originals had each individual feather embroidered,this one has them done as a whole a characteristic of fakes.

The style is not foreign it was an early style used by many officers.Here is a Belgian made example of a sleeve eagle used by many SS officer during the war that can be seen in period pictures in use.

Those appear to be done seperate..if the top one is made that way I could accept it. But Im still very cautious about this style since quite a few fakes were done back in the 60s and 70s of it. I had one and the white threads on the back glowed.

Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 90th Light; 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

The way that the wings have been hand embroidered is questionable on an original.

Is this a big question mark for the one that started this thread ?

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

I think these are private purchase German made eagles- not under RZM control. You will find a lot in common with Heer bullion eagles. Foreign ones have some pretty unusual construction that can identify them as such generally.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick W View Post
          I think these are private purchase German made eagles- not under RZM control. You will find a lot in common with Heer bullion eagles. Foreign ones have some pretty unusual construction that can identify them as such generally.
          Thank you for the reply Patrick, it is good to know that you like this type of SS officer eagle and I agree, more WH officer than RZM in construction and look.

However, I am surprised by the resistance of some advanced SS collectors to this type,

Chris

Comment

Now it is a case of finding photo graphic evidence.

Mike Beaver shows a similar example on an SS officer tunic, pages 283 to 285 of volume 1 of his 3 volume set of books on SS uniforms published by Schiffer.

Note how the wing feathers are made.

However, his comments about this type of sleeve eagle are interesting.

Does anyone have a period picture of this type actually being worn ?

Chris
            Attached Files

Comment

The last eagle is not the same type, it's just a crude variant. the Eagle starting the thread were faked a lot in the early years 50's 60's 70's. if you look at the originals the wing feathers show separation in the bullion weave over the unterlagen. the first eagle does not making it highly suspicious to me.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X