A Dutch lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Dutch lesson

Today I became an Association Member, finally, so I wanted to seize the opportunity to post some items from my collection. I will start with two items which once belonged to Dutch volunteers in the Waffen-SS. As some of you will know, the Dutchmen were mainly concentrated in the 4. SS-Freiw.-Panzergrenadier-Brigade "Nederland", which consisted of the 48. SS-Freiw.-Panzergrenadier-Regiment "General Seyffardt" and the 49. Regiment "De Ruiter". It is quite difficult to find identified items from these units, all the more because of the two annihilations the 48th regiment suffered in 1944 and 1945. For that reason I want to post two items, both with a connection to one of the Dutch regiments.

The first is a cufftitle from "General Seyffardt". The person behind this name was Hendrik Alexander Seyffardt, the commander of the Vrijwilligerslegioen Nederland (Freiw. Legion Niederlande), who was assassinated by the Dutch resistance on February 6, 1943. The date which is mentioned in the book of Williamson and McGuirl is wrong. Three days later, the honor to bear his name was bestowed upon the first company of the Freiw. Legion Niederlande. There is a picture with a Dutch made “Generaal Seyffardt” cufftitle which was posted by a forum member on the GDC forum last summer. In the Dutch Army museum in Delft, there is another locally produced one for display. That title bears the text “Gen. Seyffart”, with the name of the general wrongly spelled. The construction displayed some similarities with “Landwacht” (the forerunner of the “Landstorm Nederland”) cufftitles I had seen previously. I think that both titles, and perhaps some other variants as well, were worn till the disbandment of the Vrijwilligerslegioen Nederland in 1943. After that, the honor to wear a title with the name of the general was bestowed upon the 48th regiment which was newly formed in October, 1943. The BeVo "General Seyffardt" cufftitles were produced from 1944 onwards and issued on a very small scale, according to some veteran accounts. No period pictures with this band in wear are known to me.
    Attached Files

The next item I want to post is a rare piece of trenchart, which was made by a Dutch volunteer of the 49th regiment "De Ruiter". It is an engraved cartridge of a Signalpistole and therefore rather small. The soldier who made it was quite an artist as you can see on the following pictures. It was made in Kalleti, a small place in Kurland, Latvia, where the 49th was stationed till the beginning of 1945. The funny thing was that this piece of trenchart was found in Narwa, Estonia, were the Dutch volunteers saw action before their retreat to Kurland. I hope you will enjoy the photos.

With all the best,

Cees
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

very nice and interesting piece of historyDavid

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting indeed.

Comment

Cees,very nice stuff
                  Cheers,
                  Francesco

Comment

Hi Cees,

very cool Dutch volunteer items thanks for sharing.

Rene Chavez
                    Http://axis101.bizland.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cees Kleijn
                      Really nice,the cartridge once belonged to me,I obtained it in Estonia some years ago,have you seen our story about narwa in After the battle(latest issue)?

Sincerely Rumohr

Comment

Cees,

Great items, thanks for sharing

Rene

Comment

That piece of trench art is.........

Beeeoooootifooool !!!!

Comment

Thank you to all of you for your kind words! For your interest, I know of one untouched "General Seyffardt" tunic and it is still in the family hands. Another veteran I know kept his tunic after 1945 were it ended in the cowshed of his farm. It was stripped from all insignia and was very salty, but it was unquestionable real! He ended the war in "De Ruiter".

All the best,

Cees

Comment

Very nice piece of trench art , I have picked up many schnapps cups that have been field made some engraved some plain, some made out of flare cases some out of 20mm brass flak cases, then there is the array of ashtrays and bunker lamps.
                              cheers,
                              Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X