Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Honor Ring Repro - Quality but not too expensive

Hi gents. I'm new here in this forum.

I've read several threads, seen the pics, and there is some good stuff you guys have acquired.

Could you please point me in the right direction as to where could I buy a good quality repro that's not going to be too expensive (~$100)? I really don't want to spend money on something that I'll regret later.

I thank you all in advance. Regards from Mexico!

PS: I was looking at http://www.totenkopfrings.com which seems to be Hapur's webpage, but after reading @Christian76 experience in the thread SS Honor Ring Repro - quality?, I'm not sure anymore...

you contradict yourself: quality does not happen cheaply

Comment

Originally posted by ZiG View Post
      you contradict yourself: quality does not happen cheaply
      @ZiG, I do get your comment. but with quality I'm not talking about a carbon copy of the original, but something that you would feel proud to buy even tho is not the original nor an "accessory" that could net you a small fortune (If you know what I mean).

I'm basically just asking for help from all of you, oh knowledgeable ones

Comment

Wow, you guys are really getting out of hand with these things huh!.. There are some really good copies out there. Over at GDCs Honor Ring forum we like to call them 'SuperFakes'.. These really aren't for sale,,why? because most of the time they are being,,uuhh, trying to, be passed off as authentic HRs!

There is a topic about buying good copies personalized. Your name , your girlfriends, your dogs name can go in it,,anything you want..
        There are 2 in my opinion that are good copies for wearing.. AND, *both guys are cool and can be trusted and make the purchase a 'no hassle' affair.

Hapur - He's been making them a few years now. He makes a big hunky copy. It is not an exact exact copy. Little different here and there BUT,,for those it matters to. He makes them how most collectors deduct they are made during the period.. He cuts a die and uses period equipment, a gigantic press.. Made in any grade silver,,or gold,, he hand engraves whatever you want in them. Solders on a separately made skull, in the right spot, and thats that!

Zig - Collecting rings for many years and always wanted to make a close a copy that could be made.. He makes an exact as exact as you just about can. That is what he was going for. His is made how current jewelry is made,, by investment cast/lost wax method. [look it up on the internet, a complicated, time consuming affair] . Not sure about the engraving process, you'll have to take that up with him. A really close copy...

The link to the post 16 pages and counting!... *I invite you all to view it along with the other 70 odd back pages for reference. We discuss mainly Private Purchase rings, the honor ring, cufflinks, tie clips, cufflinks, fobs, stic pins. Free to join and post photos.

http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbth...856#Post302856

Sorry for the long post, hope the link works
        Last edited by Gaspare; 10-26-2017, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
          Wow, you guys are really getting out of hand with these things huh!.. There are some really good copies out there. Over at GDCs Honor Ring forum we like to call them 'SuperFakes'.. These really aren't for sale,,why? because most of the time they are being,,uuhh, trying to, be passed off as authentic HRs!...
          Thanks for the reply @Gaspare and for the link. I'll read the whole thing and take into consideration both of your suggestions. My only concern with Hapur's as I mentioned in my original post is that picture from the other thread where @Christian76 compares an original SSHR with the repro made by Hapur and the latter is significantly wider.

Any comments about that?

Comment

yes,, his is a bit wider. The skull is slightly different etc. It's a nice big hunky silver copy of a Honor Ring , [what some guys want]..
            He wasn't going for that 'SuperFake' look. It's a nice ring , made as mentioned on period equipment, pressed,,soldered, hand engraved,, and talent used to cut that die believe it!! , 'check' photos..

Zig is an exact copy as he could get it,,'die flaws' and all. takes talent too for that mold. It's in there as they say.. A nice wearing copy..

Both have their pros and cons and you can go pages and pages on which is better. NONE of it matters,,its YOUR personal preference! Put the photos side by side and what ever YOU like YOU buy...

*Now lets see some SS visors and cufftitles,,jackets ,collar tabs,, etc etc.

Comment

You're completely right @Gaspare. I really appreciate your help and guidance!!!

Does ZiG (I'm guessing he's "Evgeniy" in that link that you shared in your previous post) have a webpage where I can see his work and prices?

I read the whole thread in that link, but I'm not able to see any pictures. I just registered but awaiting for a moderator to "approve me".

Comment

Originally posted by MontChrist View Post
                You're completely right @Gaspare. I really appreciate your help and guidance!!!

Does ZiG (I'm guessing he's "Evgeniy" in that link that you shared in your previous post) have a webpage where I can see his work and prices?

I read the whole thread in that link, but I'm not able to see any pictures. I just registered but awaiting for a moderator to "approve me".

You can look it here http://184.172.36.50/forums/showthre...=934324&page=2

Comment

By the way, here examples of other names

Comment

@ZiG, these look awesome! Congrats!

For the little knowledge I have, it looks like a 1930's skull right? Do you also produce 1940's skulls?

Comment

yes,30s skull
                      I has original 37 year, for made
                      so I could only make this copy

Comment

finish one more ring
                        all fonts was copy from original sshr's

Comment

Small triad with proper surnames

Comment

... and engraving

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X