New arrivals today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New arrivals today

Got the flag, tie and whistle to help complete the display.

Flag is too big to hang up with pins and thats the last thing I want to do with this beauty.

Jawes

[Pic 1
    Attached Files

Comment

pic 4
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jawes, congrats on your new flag, is the flag made from linen materal. Also is there any mrkings on it, by that I mean any type of tags . Thanks so much Sonny

Comment

I don't collect much in the way of SS items, but I really like your flag. It has a wonderful character about it. Truly an item to be proud of
          Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
          All the best,
          Chris

Comment

Arran ( the local collector/textiles expert ) looked at it, smelled it and black light tested and gave it a pass....

Right Arran?

It is RZM with a tag 21/35 SS

Any suggestions on how to mount/attach such and item for display. I do not want to use pins for obvious reasons and this is pretty big.

Comment

Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum

there are some good threads in the "Flag, Pennant and Standarte Forum".
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=preservation
              http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=74213

etc... If you look, you'll find some more info on this subject.

Oli4

Comment

I have used Woolite to clean all of my uniform and flag items. I have not had trouble with blacklight or the bleeding mentioned in the link. It also does not wash out colors. For my KM RKF I used luke warm water , towards the colder side and hand washed it, no stiff bristle brush washing and no heavy scrubbing, gently use the fabric against itself and rinse-repeat-rinse-repeat-rinse-repeat. Air dry, never-ever use a washing machine or a dryer.

Your flag exhibits proper wear and aging and truly adds something to the overall feel of the item. It is a matter of descretion when it comes to cleaning an item, notice I do not use the word 'restore'. You will never bring this item back to it's original condition but you can clean it yourself. If you decide to leave it up to a 'Cleaner' you are putting your item at serious risk. A Cleaner is not a conservator. Remember that when it comes to anything to include the sewing on of buttons on a tunic.

If you are thinking of a better display for this flag, and this again is personal taste here, I would frame it and display it with the predominant feature being the Siegrunen. You dont have to display the entire length/width of the flag. Hobby Lobby offers good deals on glass, lumber, and backing wood. Just be sure you dont buy wood that is chemically treated. Building your own frame will cut down on the ridiculous costs some places will want to charge you for this.

With something as magnificent as that particular flag I wouldnt leave it exposed to dust in the air, temperature variations, or insects which normally come out when we arent around to monitor things. Light damage is of course also a factor of choosing to display it even behind glass, choose a wall that isnt painted by sunlight half the day. (I gather you most likely just brought it out for the photos anyway)

Your tunic looks very nice and you have done exceptionally well.
                Last edited by Lloyd I.; 03-17-2005, 12:30 PM.

Comment

This is not a sales pitch for Woolite but this is the truth.

WOOLITE® Fabric Wash does notcontain bleach, oils, phosphates, or enzymes.

Comment

I have no intention of cleaning the flag, in fact, it has what looks like blood on part of the runes

My problem is how to hang it without damaging the fabric given it no longer has the proper hanging parts..

Comment

That is a very impressive flag...........congrats

Cheers,
                      Francesco

Comment

If you take it to a professional Framer, they WILL stitch it to the back matting, unless you ask otherwise. A flag of htat size is very heavy for a few attahcments and as such I would be VERY careful when trying to suspend her in the air. Her own weight could do damage if not carefully done.

I am thinking if you want to hang it without having it sewn to a background, you should consult a professional framer who can custom make you a very large dare I say Metal Frame as the wood ones will run you an immense amount of cash, and then have them apply a very large layer of glass in the front, it will have to be thicker glass so as not to flex too much. Then Preassure fit the flag in teh frame and have him attach the backing (Acid Free please) and bingo Giant Rykers mount.

I have some very large framed items (Non military related) and they were done by professional framers in town. Consult only the best as a bad framer can RUIN your piece.

Hope that helps.

-Shane

Originally posted by Francesco
                        That is a very impressive flag...........congrats

Cheers,
                        Francesco

Comment

Please do not try to clean that magnificent flag.

Leave well alone.

Comment

I will not, especially with what looks like Blood stains on part of the runes

Why that blood could be from H Himmlers younger brothers mothers cousin

Only trying to figure out how to hang it without putting pins through it or sticking it up with tape.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Comment

Here is flag on ping pong table 100" ( 8 feet ) by 58" ( 4 feet )
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X