Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS metal eagle for photo album!

Hi all,

I would like to share this eagle that I picked up today from an old friend.
    This aluminum eagle was on a vet acquired photo album that was picked up by my friend around 30+ years ago. I have seen a few of these that were made of Tombac, but this is the first aluminum variation that I have ever seen. It's die struck and extremely thin. Also, it's close to the size of a cap eagle and has similar quality details, but does not match any known cap eagle maker and is unmarked. Nonetheless, a neat little piece that I am happy to add to my collection. Thanks!

Chris
    Attached Files

Unlike anything I have viewed before. The shape of the head is different, the feathers above the claws also different.

Why no pins ? , even the evidence there were pins at one time ?

Comment

As far as I know, these never had any prongs. I believe these were meant to be glued onto photo albums, but I'm not sure. Here is a Tombac example from germanwarbooty. As you can see, it is by the same maker. These things are almost as thin as a sheet of cardboard paper.

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Extremely thin,
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, I recall seeing that on the war booty site. Don't get me wrong I am not calling you out in anyway, I am just trying to understand it , because it's different. Is it bent at all or dead flat ?

Comment

Wow, that is thin !

Comment

Thanks for sharing !

Comment

A thought comes to mind......maybe the draw of the stamping is not so deep so it's easier to glue ? Metal would not be so easy to glue to an album with the glue they had back in the day.

Comment

It's pretty much dead flat when looking at it from the side, but looks 3D from the front view.
                  It's kinda like an optical illusion. Really strange.

Chris

Comment

Yeah, I really wish that I had more info on these and their usage. Maybe someone else here has more info to share?

Chris

Comment

I see grind marks, it was thicker and ground thinner for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by jmcm View Post
                        I see grind marks, it was thicker and ground thinner for some reason
                        If it was used as album insignia, I can understand the grind marks. Looks like someone laid it on a piece of sandpaper and flattened it somewhat, which would give it better adhesion when glued. Interesting piece.
                        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

for me they where grinded down, easy to do so with a rough and fine grinding stone. Just takes time to do it.

Comment

So your friend popped the eagle off the album?!! I presume there was no info on the cover or signs of use like photos? Did you ever see the album? Was the cover inlet for the eagle?

Comment

Why would it be ground down instead of being made thin? A waste of materials!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X