Knights Cross Otto Weidinger 1944 Niedermarsberg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knights Cross Otto Weidinger 1944 Niedermarsberg

In search of some non related information I came across this picture and info. It starts with the text “postcard from the pre 70-ties period” ( well … obviously ).

Partly translated:

In 1944, in front of the ( WW1 ) memorial at Niedermarsberg, the SS - Der Führer Regiments’ commander Otto Weidinger was decorated with the Knights Cross. In the background “guest house” Waldecker Hof.

Niedermarsberg is situated at approx. 20 km to the North West of Bad Arolsen.
    I have never seen pictures of this event before, as it would have been in april 1944, perhaps some of the members here have information or even pictures relating to this event?

Thanks in advance, Seth.

Attached Files

Very interesting photo hope you get the information you want Kevin.

Comment

Btw , text doesn't say " 70-er Jahren " ,
      but " von vor 70 Jahren " meaning :
      " postcard - of 70 years ago "

Comment

I recognize the name of that town!

Interesting. I think Niedermarsberg is now called Marsberg - and is very near Wewelsburg. I have driven through that town [village?] at least twice - and can't recall seeing that denkmahl. I wonder what happened to it? Perhaps I drove through the town, and didn't even notice it was there?

Comment

Your right, N.C. Wyeth, the memorial is no longer present, it used to be on the Marktplatz ( marketsquare ) but has disappeared. It took me some time to find the location anyway as the street that was mentioned was Neuestrasse but even that has changed, Mühlenstrasse / Dr. Rentzing Strasse, though Marktplatz is still Marktplatz. There is still also a ( Hotel ) Waldecker Hof in Marsberg but the one I was looking for is Gaststätte Waldecker Hof at the Marktplatz, also a bit confusing if one is searching. I'll have to look further into that ... did find some old pictures of the sight with memorial and some post war pictures.
          Thank you Kevin, and Winkelman you're correct, translation error on my behalf ( though I found it to be somewhat funny ).
          Attached Files

Comment

And later date picture ...
            Attached Files

Comment

Situation street location etc. at the present ...
              Attached Files

Comment

Well it has taken some time since I visited former Niedermarsberg ( now Marsberg ) on a Sunday morning, last summer after a visit to Wewelsburg, but here we go.
                On the map you can see where Marsberg is situated, about 2/3 of the distance between Wewelsburg and Bad Arolsen.
                Attached Files

Comment

It is actually still very recognizable, first picture is nostalgia from an earlier era where you have a clear view on the Hof, the Denkmal and the buildings to the left, Waldecker Hof used to be named Westfälischer Hof in those days.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll start with the lettering of the buildings, starting with the picture of the former Neuestrasse, later renamed Mühlenstrasse.
                    The Waldecker Hof where the ceremony took place is marked XX.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Aerial plan / picture with position of the buildings ( ¼ counter-clockwise to earlier plan in this thread ).

A – Fachwerkhaus the same as it used to be then, on the corner of Hauptstrasse / Mühlenstrasse, opposit the Waldecker Hof.

C (& B)– slightly changed original building on the corner of Hauptstrasse / Oesterstrasse, opposit building A and D.

D – building on the corner of Oesterstrasse / Dr. Rentzingstrasse, the front at the Oesterstrasse in line with the former position of the Krieger Ehrendenkmal, the side of the building in line with the Waldecker Hof.

E- house behind and in line with building D and Waldecker Hof.

XX- Waldecker Hof where the Otto Weidinger Ritterkreuz ceremony took place.

Attached Files

Comment

Position of the buildings on a postwar postcard seen from the Marktplatz / parking and nowadays.
                        Attached Files

Comment

View as comparison as time passed on building A, St. Marien-Krankenhaus, B, C and the Denkmal, with the Waldecker Hof behind us.

Some things have changed in comparison to the postcard, both the Krieger Ehrendenkmal and the St. Marien Krankenhaus / hospital are no longer there and the former Waldecker Hof has been turned into a semi Fachwerkhaus ( half-timbered house ) Hotel / Gasthof.

Attached Files

Comment

And some shots of the remaining buildings in 2018, both the hospital and Denkmal are gone.

Attached Files

Comment

A.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X