Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Visor, eagle and TK check

Hi!
    I have someone interested in this visor and he would like it posted here to verify its authenticity. I am confident it is real and am curious if you can tell us who made the skull and eagle.
    Thanks!
    Bob
    Attached Files
    www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

insignias originals
          eagle Assmann 155/42 round prongs
          skull Assmann zinc

But they seem have been applied a treatment to appear more mint (repainted maybe)

Comment

Hi Olle!
            Thank you, I am sure you are right and both are Assmann. However, neither has been cleaned and neither appears to be zinc. I think both are aluminum and have always been on this hat.
            Best Wishes!
            Bob

sigpic

Comment

The eagle is an original aluminum Zimmermann. It is a scarce variation with round soldered discs beneath the prongs, (just like the typical CupAl M1/52 skulls), and will be marked "RZM M1/72".

The skull however, is not original, imo.

Chris

Comment

Here is an original early Assmann. Notice the sharp, consistent ring around the nose. On your example, the ring is missing at the bottom side of the nose. Also compare the sutures on the far right side of the skull. On the original, you can see tiny, but sharp dots that make the sutures. These dots that are found on all original Assmann skulls, are not clear on your example.
                Lastly, your skull is made of the wrong material and this style Assmann skull reproduction has been shown here before on this forum in the past, (although most will not remember them).
                Hope this help!

Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris!
                  Well, you are someone I do trust the word of. Is there any chance a better picture would help, these were taken with a macro lens at a little distance. I know the hat is fine and has been seen by some of the "heavy hitters" but would love verification on that too.
                  Thank you, I will be back later.
                  Bob

sigpic

Comment

One more thing, look between the eyes on my skull, and you will find a triangle carved into the space connecting with the line of the sutures between the eyes. In my upcoming book, I refer to this feature as the "Assmann triangle" die characteristic.

Anyway, this feature is again, extremely faint on your cast skull, as are many other details.

Chris

Comment

It is possible, but not likely that my opinion will have to change, imo. Of course, better photos would certainly help us to be absolutely, 100% certain. So, please feel free to post them.

Chris

Comment

Sorry, I do not study the hats so I cannot help you with that. Hopefully others who have, will be able to give you a definite answer there.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
                          The eagle is an original aluminum Zimmermann. It is a scarce variation with round soldered discs beneath the prongs, (just like the typical CupAl M1/52 skulls), and will be marked "RZM M1/72".
                          Chris
                          Then the prongs would be flat
                          Not seen from inside the cap as are the prongs of the eagle?

One more thing, look between the eyes on my skull, and you will find a triangle carved into the space connecting with the line of the sutures between the eyes. In my upcoming book, I refer to this feature as the "Assmann triangle" die characteristic.
                          Chris
                          the "Asman triangle" has been concealed by the treatment I mentioned earlier
                          Another thing if it is not an Assmann zinc and outside an aluminum or a cast fake also the prongs would be flat not round ,again I wonder can not you see prongs from inside the cap?

Here is an original early Assmann. Notice the sharp, consistent ring around the nose. On your example, the ring is missing at the bottom side of the nose.
                          Chris
                          Not always hit in the right place of the hole and sometimes these were smaller or displaced, giving that aspect

Originally posted by BobI View Post
                          Hi Chris!
                          Is there any chance a better picture would help, these were taken with a macro lens at a little distance. I know the hat is fine and has been seen by some of the "heavy hitters" but would love verification on that too.
                          Thank you, I will be back later.
                          Bob

Yes, some photos less artistic and more mundane but nearby would help

Comment

Awaiting further pictures...

Comment

Hi!
                              Sorry for the delay and here are a few more pics. Differt setting to try and get better details.
                              Thanks!
                              Bob
                              Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X