SS spoon. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS spoon. Thoughts?

Saw this today. Upper handle engraving and small under neck markings which are tough to decipher. The outlined SS runes look pretty legit to me buty I have never seen this spoon so thought I'd post.

Spoon

Post-war embellishment.......the odds of it being legit are extremely slim.
    There IS mess silverware with SS logo, but not like this spoon.
    This type of embellishment is common when someone wants to gussy-up vintage silver. It's a wonderful idea.....but hardly original.

Comment

That LAH logo of interwoven letters/script below the runes doesn't look like some Eastern European hack with a basement punch press pumping out fakes. It's pretty artistically rendered and matches the same design seen on car pennants. But that's just my two schillings. If anything is suspect - speaking from a "design" standpoint - I'd say it's the runes themselves. Makes no sense to plop them in above the Waffen script below. But... I dunno.
      Last edited by ghostcinderella; 01-10-2017, 01:16 AM.

Comment

That is NOT an LAH logo to begin with .
        Just someones personalized old silverware that you can still find by the bucket in Europe , and added SS runes .

Comment

It seems to be an old spoon with an original ā€œEā€ monogram and recently added poorly done runes.

Comment

That is nothing like the LAH monogram, although I can see how you "see" the A and L in the engraving.

Gary B
            ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

Originally posted by Gary B View Post
              That is nothing like the LAH monogram, although I can see how you "see" the A and L in the engraving.

Gary B
              I know. The logo may be worn, but held against a LAH logo you can definitely see some artistic similarity. I thought it might have been a very flamboyantly scripted version of it. In any case... I thought was fake for the simple reason that, from a design standpoint, the runes (fake or not) make no sense in the place they are.

Still.... always good to have reference photos (and excellent ones I might add.... you're welcome ) of items fake or not for later use.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostcinderella View Post
                I know. The logo may be worn, but held against a LAH logo you can definitely see some artistic similarity.
                Most if not all of the 'LAH logo' s you will see are nothing to do with the Leibstandarte and come from the Hapag shipping line.

Ian.

Comment

Spoon

A similar style of letter as used in the LAH monogram, but the similarity ends there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X