SS Visor Eagle on E-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Visor Eagle on E-stand

Wanted to post this eagle for comment. http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=893763

It's being listed as: "100% Original. Maker inside. Great condition."

So is it just me or do these prongs look like they have been reaffixed with JB Weld, or some other epoxy?

If it was 100% original/unaltered then the asking price would be realistic. However, with the restoration (albeit a poor one) the description and the price should be more reflective of the fact that it has been repaired.

Thoughts?

vr

Bob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Waffenreich; 01-05-2017, 05:36 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

I bought a nice Wagner m1/8 at the Max last year for $800
      That was unaltered.
      This one, and the M1/52 Deschler he has listed both look repaired.
      It would of been better to not of repaired it, than what it looks like now.
      his price will have to come down before he'll ever sell it

Comment

Thanks for commenting Matt.

For those looking at this Thread, I want to be clear that my point is not to beat the seller up per se, but to bring-up two important points that I think are somewhat lacking on the E-stand and pervasive in the hobby in general. They are the lack of full disclosure regarding the integrity of a piece and pricing that is not commensurate with condition and integrity.

This has been a problem for years and I feel is having a truly detrimental impact on the hobby.

The only thing we can do about it is to make the case to sellers that they can't ask (and expect) top dollar for items that have been altered as top dollar should be reserved for those items that are desirable, unaltered, and unupgradeable. A professional restoration is one thing, but a shoddy job brings with it liabilities, hence the item enters a whole different realm of desirability and that should be reflected in the price.

Comment

Are two magnificent and rare pieces.

Yes, both look repaired (wartime ..or not) but these refixing not disfigure the pieces or "stained his honor".

In terms of price is logical that he wants to get the most benefit Just like you will want to take it at the lowest price.

in "prestigious" online stores other pieces more "common" sold and exceed that price (And some of them are not always as genuine as you can think.
          Here in the e-stand the buyers have the advantage that immediately jump and analyze the red flags and doubts of the articles for sale in the forum).

Also I think we all know the UP or BTT of the e-stand sellers (So better start a little high no?).

only my 2 cents.

Comment

I agree, the prongs have been repaired, but there is probably no way to know when, or by whom this was done, (not that it really matters). I do agree that this should have been mentioned in the description, but as for the price, it's his eagle and he has the right to ask whatever he wants to for it, imo. The eagle is certainly authentic, but the variation is not a rare one. It's not a bargain, but not far above what it should be worth today either, imo. If the prongs were perfect, it would be worth around $900.00 - $1,000.00, imo. Just my thoughts!

Chris

Comment

Hello fellows,

no Problem to discuss here,on the contrary it is good! A one word: both insignias i offer are originaly bought from very honest US-WAF Members and both came in this now by me offered condition.And of course,like the most offered items on E-Stand,the Price is negotiable.

Best.
              Last edited by tobau; 01-06-2017, 02:32 AM.

Comment

rare,scarce and mint.

Hi all ,just my two pennies worth i have only been collecting eight months ,but i have seen a vast difference on E stand and many dealer sites to what is called a mint ,rare or scarce medal badges and i have seen many members say that the price on the waf is sometimes 20 to 30% cheaper but i have seen many items near dealer site prices , do not get me wrong you deserve to get as much as you can for them,but a lot of items are classed as mint but to me are far from it,can you learned members who have been collecting years please tell me what mint means when associated with medals as to me mint means as it left the factory,and dealers need to charge a little more because of there overheads etc,i myself will not buy a repaired badge so i have to pay more and obviously it takes longer to save for it,but at my age i am not buying to sell in the future, only to have a few pieces of history.thanks kevin

Comment

Sadly, you cannot trust most people in this hobby. Everyone is out to make the big bucks.
                  Mint means mint, just as you described, imo. It is good that you notice these things. Always be careful and skeptical of SS items. This just a good rule of thumb.

Just my thoughts!

Chris

Comment

Hello Chris thanks i thought some members might have bitten my head off i have not ventured into the SS arena yet still looking and saving Kevin.

Comment

Kevin,
                      From the years ive been collecting, it seems the norm, that on an average, pieces go up about 10% a year. Give or take.
                      You also have certain items that spike, and certain items that go down.
                      SS cloth seems to have taken a dive at the last few shows, and certain insignia.
                      A few years ago, SS visor adlers were more than the skulls.
                      Now, the skulls are higher than the adlers.
                      The trick to anything is to buy right
                      And if im
                      Paying premium price, i expect an original, unaltered piece.
                      But i just love the hunt

Comment

Thanks for the advice Matt i will try to be cagey Kevin.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X