Early ss skull opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early ss skull opinions

Could I get some quick opinions on this earlier ss skull? Seems like it has legitimate aging, but other then that I haven't a clue, since skulls aren't my area. Thank you!
    Attached Files

For sure not orginal
    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Funia View Post
      For sure not orginal
      Peter
      Certainly not pre-1936 SS. It looks like an original WWII Heer 5th Kavalerie cap Totenkopf, which were dug up in thousands in Berlin a few years back. They are often passed off as SS which they are not.
      Last edited by Tony & Kaiser; 11-07-2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Fake! €10 at Chiney

Comment

Skull

IMO, Tony is correct - the famous "Berlin Hoarde".
          These have been discussed ad infinitum, and are generally considered legit.
          As for their purpose.......SS vs. Army Regimental...........the lack of detail compared to earlier traditional skulls suggests late mfg.....long after the SS stopped using them.
          Based on all the info I've read, and the appearance...especially the prongs, I believe they're legit.
          NOTE:
          Before I even read this thread, I IMMEDIATELY knew that Funia would respond, and automatically label it as fake..... I was not disappointed.
          He says the same thing about every early skull posted. In HIS mind, they're ALL FAKE.

Comment

Here is mine exactly same bought for 5$ or 6$ and aged by myself and posted many times by me Looks same as you called ,,famous Berlin Hoarde"
            Sgstandard next year I will be in U.S.
            If you wanted we made another ones in American soil.

Peter

Last edited by Funia; 11-07-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Skulls

In fairness, I don't claim to be the definitive expert on these, so I can't GUARANTEE that every skull is legit, simply because there were so MANY different manufacturers and variations. But Funia says EVERY early skull posted is a fake, and I just don't believe that. Who ARE these people making all these early skulls that are all different?

Comment

Orginal ones Danziger skulls are more rare than some people think.
                Fakes Danzger skulls are a glut on the markret this way the orginal ones are underestimated.
                Personally I like some of first pattern skulls more than second pattern.
                But it is a question of taste.
                Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Funia View Post
                  Orginal ones Danziger skulls are more rare than some people think.
                  Fakes Danzger skulls are a glut on the markret this way the orginal ones are underestimated.
                  Personally I like some of first pattern skulls more than second pattern.
                  But it is a question of taste.
                  Peter
                  Peter that Totenkopf you posted above, is indeed a very rare example. It was only worn on the issued Krätchen of Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 or 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2 (both from Danzig/Langfuhr) in the XVII Armee Korps until 1918.

Note how the left eye socket is egg-shaped, while the right eye is almost a half-circle, which is unique to this issued Leib-Husaren pattern. The Totenkopf was once silver but it has patinated to dark brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony & Kaiser View Post
                    Peter that Totenkopf you posted above, is indeed a very rare example. It was only worn on the issued Krätchen of Leib-Husaren Regt. Nr.1 or 2. Leib-Husaren-Regt. Königin Viktoria von Preußen Nr.2 (both from Danzig/Langfuhr) in the XVII Armee Korps until 1918.

Note how the left eye socket is egg-shaped, while the right eye is almost a half-circle, which is unique to this issued Leib-Husaren pattern. The Totenkopf was once silver but it has patinated to dark brown.
                    Tony thanks for your comment.
                    I apreciate your knowledge about this skull and generally about Danziger skulls.
                    Not a lot of people have such knowledge.
                    Peter

Comment

Another all 1 pattern skulls are fake except the one I found in the ground thread..
                      Last edited by Badto666; 11-08-2016, 02:05 PM.

Comment

In this case Funia is right, the skulls in post 1 and 6 are fakes.
                        Many people have gone wrong with these. Notice the fresh solder!
                        Again, these sell for around €10 at Chiney fair, Belgium and some other German fairs.
                        Original 1st pattern skulls are rarer then many think.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmv View Post
                          In this case Funia is right, the skulls in post 1 and 6 are fakes.
                          Many people have gone wrong with these. Notice the fresh solder!
                          Again, these sell for around €10 at Chiney fair, Belgium and some other German fairs.
                          Original 1st pattern skulls are rarer then many think.
                          Yes I agree on this one when taking a closer look. 😉

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X