• Show
Clear All

SS-Officer eagle

Bad copy right!?

Cheers
    Øyvind

reverse

Comment

Has the bullion gone off ...... as it looks somewhat powery from here. Maybe better quality closer photos would help. David

Comment

Hi David!

This is all I got (two photos). Im sure its a fake, but just wanted to hear other collectors input.

Cheers
        Øyvind

Comment

That one is not a known fake to me.It looks pretty darn good.How do you know its a fake?

Comment

Hi John.

Did not past the black light test on the reserve (not done by me),
            and its something funny about the legs to that little bird.

Cheers
            Øyvind

Comment

I find this eagle quite interesting, I like the still sharp angles for certain points and perhaps the thickness from the body and how it is done.
              Why you think it is a faked one ?

Comment

long story short. Sold ages ago, several owners... and several inputs from each hand. Think this one have been in a collection for about 10 years before it was sold for the first time. I have not held it, but have heard opinions from several collectors. The last one a sponsor to this site. One of the things he said was that it had no legs, and after comparing it with other original ss-officer eagles, I have seteled down with that opinion.

Probably stupid of me jumping out with conclutions with things I dont know that much about, but heck... I have also compared it with an eagle attached to a tunic of a freind of mine. And it looks like its more space between the stiches on the one that I have said its fake, correct?

Cheers
                Øyvind

Comment

eagle
                  Last edited by Øyvind; 03-10-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

With hand embroidery there is always room for differences,but that eagle looks real to me.If it doesnt react to UV then keep it.
                    The one on the uniform looks very nice as well.....I will happily take it off your hands with the tunic if you like.

Comment

Would need a few better photos of the eagle, Its possible that it can be hand sewn but there is little room for error in my opinion. Texbook is the way to go.

Comment

Where might one find an error on a Hand embroidered eagle of which many styles existed? There are known examples which are questionable because they seem to have surfaced in mass quantity.This style is not one of those, and certain features on the eagle are very well executed and indicative of period examples nad lacking on questionable examples.Certainly there is a chance this was purchased from a re-enactor oufitter that had it counterfieted and falsely aged. But only the false ageing would give it away and the UV glow. If it did not pass the UV test and the white core threads of the bullion on the reverse glow it is a bad one most certainly made to fool.

Comment

Regarding the Eagle on the uniform,almost always Bullion and flatwire officer eagles were hand sewn. On rare occaision you see zigzag stitch but rarely.

Norwegian..when can we see these tunics I am dying to have a look.

Comment

Ditto John,I don't see anything obviously bad with the first one posted.Makes a nice change for it not to be a joke shop fake

Cheers,Ian.

Comment

Another dangerous miscalculating mistake made by some....UV glow is bright bluish white like a cotton T-shirt under blacklight. IF thread appears to turn a yellowish color and stands out.its more than likely caused by oxidization and is real.Black material doesnt react..infact I wouldnt use it on any colored materials either just white threads.UV held at about a 20 inch distance from some fake items will make the item look like a city lit up at night.There are chemicals used to stop that reaction on the surface but the exposed thread ends and sometimes the back or parts of the cardboard unter lagen if torn will glow betraying the item. If you hold the UV lamp too close everything will reflect and appear to glow.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X