Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Clothing Stamps

Hello all,

Attached is an image from Robin Lumsden's "A Collector's Guide to: The Waffen SS" (page 70). This scan shows a SS marking, similar to a RbNr number, which identifies the factory in which the item was produced. In addition I have attached a scan of a stamp from a set of W-SS panzer trousers (identical in construction to those shown on pages 762-763 of Volume 3 in the Beaver series).

My concern is that I have never seen this form of stamp before - and this has raised an issue about these panzer trousers. Simply put - is this stamp legitimate? I would be grateful for informed and objective opinions - especially from Robin - if he can spare the time.

Mike
    Attached Files

My stamp...
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C
      My stamp...
      Mike.
      This form of stamp is certainly legitimate, and I well remember seeing it on a few items in the '70s.
      HOWEVER.......since I put that book out over 10 years ago, I have seen many dubious items bearing variants of this stamp, including a shoulder board which appears in a well-known colour SS uniform book.
      In my opinion, some fakers have simply copied this on to their latest 'works'.
      They did the same with SS-RZM labels when the Mollo book illustrating these in detail for the first time appeared.

Comment

I am afraid "I" have never seen this type of stamp in anything I considered original, I have seen it though on many fake items including the type of shoulder straps Robin mentioned above, I have also seen this type of stamp on fake helmet chin straps as well

cheers,
        Gary

Comment

Thanks all - much appreciated!

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,I have never seen that type of marking either other than R.L.'s drawing.If your uncertain on the trousers you should check the stamped size markings against the actual size.I don't view SSBW as a plus on any item for these reasons listed above.To many it's a "Good Housekeeping seal of Approval"Cheers Steve
            Last edited by Steve Pardon; 02-06-2005, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
            X