SS NCO's visor opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
    Hi, I guess it depends on 'taste' and how wrecked you like your badly stored but otherwise beautiful SS visor.

Ian
    Ian, doesn't the same logic apply to helmets?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
      Ian, doesn't the same logic apply to helmets?

Tom
      Hi Tom, yes, you could well be right. This one seems to just be bad storage damage though.

Comment

I say leave it alone...Dont care how good Ben is its a nice visor just needs a Hat stecher inside. Once is altered then its always gonna be questioned. If the Visor was Broken off and your reaffixing the original Pieces then shure

Comment

Pretty damn well done. J

Comment

Personally, I would not restore this visor, I think it looks just fine the way it is + it seems to fit nicely on the display head you have.

Comment

Leave it alone. Just put some sort of shaper to stop further damage and leave it be.

Comment

As usual, the facts have become muddled.

The first cap posted in this thread does not require any restoration IMO. The vulcanfibre visor could be returned to it's original shape using some heat but I don't classify that as restoration or repair. That is merely reversing the effects of poor storage.

The second cap posted was bought by myself from Charlie Snyder of all people! and the sweatband and visor had been glued on by some idiot in the past in an attempt to hold it all together. I tried to salvage the sweatband but it just disintegrated. So an original sweatband was sourced and sewn on together with the visor.

Here's some of the glue that came off that cap. It was plastered in the stuff and was extremely difficult and time consuming to remove.

Whilst I appreciate that my work is appreciated and recommended, it has also become an albatross around my neck because once again, there's been a misunderstanding that have to clear up.
                Attached Files

Comment

Well done Ben.

Skilled, looks very nice.

Comment

Thanks mate!

Another point I'd like to make is this.

Sometimes the true condition of a visor cap is not obvious from photos. The cap above was a prime example of this. It wasn't until I had it in my hands that I discovered all the glue. Likewise, it's sometimes difficult to recognise period repairs from post war repairs so you have to develop an eye for what you're looking at. Period repairs should be left alone whilst poorly executed repairs done afterwards can be undone and then redone properly.

Comment

As others stated already, I would leave the cap in this condition, there is no need for a restoration and IMO it would lower its value to some collectors. So my advice, leave it as it is, its a real beauty

Comment

Thank you to those who responded. The cap will not be "repaired" or "restored" or altered in anyway from how it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by robs View Post
                          Thank you to those who responded. The cap will not be "repaired" or "restored" or altered in anyway from how it is now.
                          thats good to hear !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X