Zeltbahn Made Of Italian Camouflage Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zeltbahn Made Of Italian Camouflage Material

Hi all,I don't know if it's the right section but I have this zeltbahn made of camouflage italian material .I'm wondering if this type of pattern was used by the WSS or by Police units only.Opinions?Thank you

Cheers
    Attached Files

N.2
    Attached Files

Comment

N.3
      Attached Files

Comment

N.4
        Attached Files

Comment

N.5
          Attached Files

Comment

N.6
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey there,
              It seems that you picked up today two very nice zletbahns. The splinter one is rarer than this one. I wouldn't say only SS but Heer and Luftwaffe troops HG also. I dont know all the specifics but these are made from captured stocks in Northern Italy.

Thanks for posting,
              Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MGN
                Hey there,
                The splinter one is rarer than this one.
                Michael,
                Is a splinter pattern rare that this? this is i must admit the first time i have seen a zelt in Italian cloth must have lived a sheltered life i guess but i would have thought that a zelt made in Italian cloth would be maybe less desirable to a lot of people but somewhat rarer
                cheers,
                Gary

Comment

Gary,

I believe MGN means the splinter one that Panzerfaust posted on another section of this forum. (MGN, correct me if I am wrong) Which is indeed a relativly rare one because of the seldom encountered coloration. As for italian camo, I also think that this is much less desired by collectors...probably because of the fact the that excact camo was produced up to the 1960 or 1970 (which gives good chances to fakers) and that it is not of german origin. In example Anoraks in italian camo are only a few compaired to the previous models-If they are authentic ...but still they sell for less I think. The bakelite buttons on this example make me believe that it was of latewar production....Also splinter zeltbahnen with bakelite buttons are relativly rare....I am not saying that this particular zeltbahn is "good" but I can't see something that worries me from these pics.

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Hi Panzerfaust,

Your triangular Zeltbahn made of Italian material is an uncommon item that was probably issued to any units that could obtain them late in the war.

I have heard reports of Italian material being utilised by LAH and related units from stocks taken from captured stocks after the Italians capitulated, but the style of manufacture suggests to me that this camouflage material was processed in the same way as regular triangular Zeltbahnen in a factory, and not by unit tailors.

Of the three examples I have, only one has a legible stamp with an RB number and is dated 1945. One of them also has a reinforcing section made of Luftwaffe splinter pattern material.

SS pattern Zeltbahnen are not hard to find, but only seem to change hands for unjustifiably high prices. How many triangular Zeltbahnen have you ever seen in Italian pattern material? By comparison, they are uncommon and I don't know of any being offered by the major dealers. They sometimes appear on German eBay. I would like to find a fourth one to complete a basic four-piece tent. A couple of mine can be seen at http://www.zeltbahn.net/it_camo.htm.

/David

Comment

Hi Frosch,
                      yes, they took the fabric from companies in nothern italy along with wool fabric etc.. Probably along with everything that they could get. I believe that they even continued production of it in the italian companies that were "under control". The fabric was used on unit level (W-SS, Heer and Luftwaffe) and also on factory level (Anoraks,Zeltbahn). The Zeltbahn discused was apparently made following german regulations, there were several companies in czech that produced the anorak in it. camo during the war (and afterwards).

LAH was one of the units that took much of the material. Due to the fact the LAH and HJ were "Schwester-Divisionen" and fought in normandy much of the material was passed along to the HJ and they made many items from that (coveralls, tank uniforms, four pocket tunics, caps etc...)...I believe that most of the known period photographs showing such items were taken among the HJ Div..

You say SS pattern Zeltbahnen aren't hard to find, that is your opinion, which I respect, but I think that depends on the pattern. Oak Zeltbahnen are "often" offered...still they are MUCH, MUCH less offered than common Splinter ones, If we come to fully handscreened, blurred edge etc. things are getting harder when we com to SS-VT things are getting very, very hard.....If you are able to get me fully handscreened ones in good shape for 500,-Euro or even less I will take them imediatly. Of course "italian ones" appear to be rarer than Oak ones...but as I said formaly I think they are not as accpeted....Even a splinter one with bakelite buttons is rarer than a handscreened platane one...but I am afraid that it will be cheaper if sold.....Demand is what makes the price.....

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

I completely forgot about this thread! Fritz yes you are acorrect that was the one I was refering to.

I would say that SS zelts are not rare just that they are desirable right now.
                        There was a stone mint splinter dated 1945 and RBN numbered on ebay that was $350

Michael

Comment

Fritz,

You are right, of course, but I was only comparing the Italian pattern triangular Zeltbahnen to the SS patterns.

Late-war splinter pattern examples with Bakelite buttons or infrared light-absorbing print are also hard to find, and a lot less common than the oak A and B patterns, but still do not seem to command the prices that badly worn SS patterns sell for.

An example in blurred edge pattern eludes me too, as do the very early VT patterns, but like all the rest, they are still out there. If you keep your eyes open and persevere, you don't have to pay US dealer prices.

Happy hunting,

David

Comment

MGN,
                            yes,there are some patterns that aren't that rare....But what is rare? Is a thing rare that you can't get at all or something that you can get imediatly for proper $$$? I don't like to spend much $$ on items, they should be much cheaper ....unfortunatly the dealers aren't listening to me!

Frosch,
                            well, carbon overprint is very rare, it should easily "outprice" most SS patterns...and I believe it will...it is even rarer than Panzerfaust's splinter one.
                            But as for the bakelit Zelt you are right, these should be more expensive than Oak ones as they are significantly rarer than these.

Yes, sometimes good things appear for very little money....but these "sometimes" are not often . I think you will have good chances to find a blurred edges among these "sometimes". .....VT? well perhaps!

Yes, happy hunting !!!

Cheers

Fritz

Comment

Hello guys,thank for the answers I want to add I've spent for this zeltbahn a low amount of money.A bargain IMO.

Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X