Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Shoulder Boards Pioneer Regiment ??

Good morning

I wondered if I could perhaps seek some help from your members if that is permitted

I wish to purchase a gift for a pal who is having a significant birthday, and he is interested in German Military items as he collects uniforms and patches

I have spotted a gift but I have been unable to find any information about what it is described as, could I ask what a Pioneer Regiment is, is this similar to the British Home Front Army ? Also, the numbers on these items, should they be of a cord type as I recall seeing one of his collection and it may have been printed

Please excuse my use, proper or otherwise, of terminology, this as I suspect you will have quickly surmised, not an area I am familiar with

Kindest regards

Roy

Good morning Roy, a Pioneer unit is what we call the Engineers in the British Army. They would be responsible for establishing river crossings, land mine laying and clearing and other such specific tasks.

The German Army used a system of coloured piping called Waffenfarbe (Arms Colour) to designate the speciality of a unit ... white for infantry, lemon-yellow for signals, pink for armoured, Golden-yellow for cavalry etc ... the Pioniere wore black, so the edges of shoulder straps and the centre of the collar patches would have black piping.

Personally I would be EXTREMELY cautious about buying anything online as it is a total nightmare of fakes and reproductions. If your friend collects WW1 militaria look here ... http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...splay.php?f=50 On the Estand here you have at least some guarantee of originality.

Hope this helps ?

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Thank you Ian. This is most helpful. The items are on ebay, they are a pair of black material with red edges and have red 81 in red cord, would that be correct ? They look old also
      Best regards
      Roy

Comment

Red piping and numbers would mean artillery Regiment 81 ... perhaps best to post photos of them over on the Imperial Militaria Forum rather than here on the SS Forum

Cheers, Ian.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X