WSS Freikorps Danmark collar tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSS Freikorps Danmark collar tab

Here is tab that I have had for a couple of years which is in my fake pile. I am now having second thoughts about it.
    Other than the white cross being a bit odd in proportion, the embroidery style is very similar to other insignia of the period.
    The rest of the tab is fine with regard to construction and materials and does have the right age and feel to it, even a little corrosion on the piping.
    I tested it under black light and it is OK as well.
    While originals are indeed rare, the problem is that there is really no standard with which to compare.
    I think this just might have a chance, but lets see what others say. Someone may recognize it as an old fake and have one just like it!

CB
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cbuehler; 11-02-2015, 06:37 PM.

Hi CB
    I like the base material on yours i don't like the way it is folded on the reverse.
    I hope for you it is original but i have doubts.
    There is a nice one in this thread posted by Steve T
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ht=danmark+tab
    I'm sure there is also a type with slightly smaller flag on it.
    Cheers
    Dave.

Comment

IMO not original!

Comment

I understand the concerns posted here, but are we also sure that the one posted by Steve long ago is original as well? I have had this put down as fake myself, but I cant prove that it is.
        These tabs were worn for such a short time and my research indicates that they were also locally sourced in Denmark.
        Unless someone comes up with a duplicate of this tab that is known to be fake, I fear that the tab in question may remain just that; a question mark.

CB

Comment

Originals seen chainstitched examples, with cardboard backing and ugly thread connected sides

Comment

Fellow member Rene has one in his collection

http://axis101.bizland.com/CollarTabs02.htm

Might be worthwhile contacting him.

I thought Bob Hritz might possibly have one as well ........

Comment

Yes I have one in my collection and is original. On the one posted on this thread the front looks good but the buckram on the reverse seems different. These tabs were also privately made. There exist repros, which show the flag much smaller in size and I tend to like the tabs with the large flags. You can see images of volunteers wearing these large flag tabs. Also there is the German made ones but I'm suspicious on those as I've indicated imo they were privately made.

Rene Chavez
              www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com
              Last edited by Rene Chavez; 11-04-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Here is an original tab.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rene Chavez View Post
                  Yes I have one in my collection and is original. On the one posted on this thread the front looks good but the buckram on the reverse seems different. These tabs were also privately made. There exist repros, which show the flag much smaller in size and I tend to like the tabs with the large flags. You can see images of volunteers wearing these large flag tabs. Also there is the German made ones but I'm suspicious on those as I've indicated imo they were privately made.

Rene Chavez
                  www.foreignvolunteerlegion.com
                  I too am suspicious of German factory made examples and understood that these were most likely locally made.
                  That is why I am posting this tab as the embroidery does not appear to be typical machine made.
                  So far, there is nothing definite to declare my tab a fake, nor original for that matter.

CB

Comment

Hi CB
                    I don't know if any of the following threads are any good to you.
                    The first is a tab i had chance on years ago it's not quite the same as yours but it does have a similar weave to the flag.
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=172103
                    Cheers
                    Dave.

Comment

And this one has a nice period pic of the tab in use.
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...lag+collar+tab
                      Cheers
                      Dave.

Comment

Thanks much Dave,
                        The embroidery style is indeed very similar to the tab you posted.
                        I will be relegating this tab to my small "possibles" pile. I fear that it is one of those things that we may never be sure about.
                        Cheers,

CB

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler View Post
                          Thanks much Dave,
                          The embroidery style is indeed very similar to the tab you posted.
                          I will be relegating this tab to my small "possibles" pile. I fear that it is one of those things that we may never be sure about.
                          Cheers,

CB
                          I hope you get the answer your looking for.
                          It would be nice to own such a rare tab especially if it is declared original.
                          Cheers
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
                            Here is an original tab.
                            Forgot the reverse:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X