SS Collar Tab Estate Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to an auction in Fredericktown, Missouri (far south of St. Louis) a few months ago and picked up some interesting items. The items belonged to a gentleman who was stationed in Germany during the late 1960's - early 70's. There were a number of military items and I was able to purchase quite a few. There were many pieces of WW2 German insignia with some obvious repro items but there were also a few original items as well. I was able to get two original Iron Crosses and a very nice Infantry Assault Badge. I also picked up these SS collar tabs. I have no idea if they are original or repro. Of course, I would assume the latter but I figure some of you folks might be able to give me some solid input.

The tabs are very nice, as you can see.

Any thoughts?

(Also, I had heard that there was a transitional SS helmet that was sold at this auction and then was subsequently sold for around 14 grand. I did not see any such helmet at the auction and I don't remember seeing it on the sale bill, but I was about a half-hour late and I guess it could've been sold right up front. I would've certainly bid on it if I had seen it. I probably could've gotten it too as there didn't seem to be too many knowledgeable collectors in attendance. Has anyone heard about a helmet like this selling recently?)

http://www.hermannsattic.com/ebay/ss_tabs_1.jpg

http://www.hermannsattic.com/ebay/ss_toten_tabs_1.jpg

http://www.hermannsattic.com/ebay/ne...d_ss_tab_1.jpg

. . . and this . . . which doesn't look familiar to me at all. Some kind of cap badge? The bullion around the eagle is quite sparkly. This badge measures 2-3/8" wide by 2-1/4" tall.

http://www.hermannsattic.com/ebay/bevo_skull_1.jpg

Sorry to say, but these are all fakes

And the "cap badge" in bullion is ugliest fake ever....................

Comment

None of these come anywhere close to known originals...
      Shape, embroidery quality, piping (strands), backram backing...tab's jaw lines...Everything has issues I'm afraid...
      Especially the skull-eagle cap insignia is atrocious! It is actually so bad that I would love to own it (for giggles).
      I would refer to it as the "Homer Simpson" pattern skull!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NickG; 06-18-2015, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I agree, all trash!

//Felix

Comment

I can only agree with the guys,all very bad fakes,sorry for bad news.

Comment

Very poor fakes ... note the white dots of doom on some of them and the twisted wiry piping on the Wolfsangel tab

Let's not even go there with the Pilsbury Doughboy insignia

Ian

Comment

Its all a pile of pooh ...
              Regards
              David

Comment

I agree with everyone else. Very bad.

Comment

Love the eagle/skull combo!

CB

Comment

Oooohhh.....my eyes, my eyes!!!!

Comment

Maybe the estate was Charlie Snyder's and these are his SS 'treasures'?

Comment

Je suis Anders Skötte!

Originally posted by kersten View Post
                        Maybe the estate was Charlie Snyder's and these are his SS 'treasures'?

Comment

Hah! Well, I figured as much . . . but I also thought it would be a good idea to ask before putting them up for sale. I would hate to misrepresent them, one way or the other.

I do agree . . . the eagle/skull thingy is hideous. It looks like someone did go to a lot of trouble to make it . . . but . . . why? Maybe it was practice?

I figure some airsofter might want it. The tabs would be decent for reenacting, wouldn't they?

I'll sell these in my antique shop as repros and I do appreciate the input (even the "pooh" and "trash" comments).

Comment

Was at the auction as i live 30 miles from there, didnt bid on much for the plain simple fact that most of it was crap picked up by him in occupation time.

Comment

And sorry there was no helmet sold like that there, if that SS helmet would have been put up for sale...I would have taken it home! There were more collectors that knew what they were doing there than you think, including myself. We didnt bid on alot of the crap that others took home believing they got a deal!
                              Last edited by THEPOLIZEIMAN; 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X