SS brooch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS brooch

I picked this rather handsome thing up some years ago and just dug it out again. I am guessing it's some kind of sweetheart brooch? The quality of work is very nice- all the details to the eagle are hand engraved and it is made up of several layers of silver.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Many thanks

Patrick
    Attached Files

;;;;
    Attached Files

Comment

No I haven't ... But I like it ....
      Regards
      David

Comment

Hi,

I collect German brooches and SS pins, im sorry to have to say but in my opinion this lacks all kinds of quality and is a modern item.

best regards,
        Gaston

Comment

Looks,to be a sweetheart brooch that should contain a picture and an SS pin button has been placed in the picture slot to increase value.

Comment

"Has anyone seen anything like this before?"

Yes, see here. http://www.germaniainternational.com/ss.html

I would tend to agree with JC and Jabnus.

Very much an Imperial style eagle. Described as a 'Traditions' pin on the site above.
            Last edited by Steve T; 06-18-2015, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the link Steve, it explains a lot.

From Germaniainternational:

DESCRIPTION: This is a very rare silver and enameled pin with astounding detail. Within the SS organization there was a group of men that could be compared to the reinactors of today. This small but active group sometimes wore the costumes of antiquity as they served food and performed other functions at high state functions, often for Hermann Goring and other Reich leaders. They also acted as extras in U.F.A. films such as "Kolberg" and often wore 18th century costumes at school functions to teach children about the glorious Germanic past. Hitherto we did not know about any insignia for this SS "Traditionsgruppe", but due to a fantastic find in Germany last year a whole bevy of wonderful insignia and jewelry has surfaced that was produced by various famous Berlin jewelers who crafted such things in the Third Reich. This is one such find. We have found several of these, and it is possible they' are the only ones available in the world today. They are stunningly beautiful in pure 800 silver with a black enamel center with pure silver runes. Clearly marked 800 and they also have the crescent and crown mark as well. We don't know if it is an award for some high proficiency or if it is a first class "tinnie", but it sure is great looking in any case.
              PRICE: $450.00

Who would dare to doubt the wisdom of Germaniainternational? Besides the above nonsense (just had to save this joke for future reference), who agrees with him/them that the brooch "was produced by various famous Berlin jewelers who crafted such things in the Third Reich"?

Look at the reverse? Look at the cast marks, look at that amazingly 800 marked ROUND circle, it's anything but round or in perspective, look at the border width? Would any famous jeweler, let alone RZM controlled maker, produce such a montrosity?

Common sense should fire some alarmbells here.

Comment

Wow, that's quite some story- thanks for the link I had never seen another. Certainly exactly the same which coming from that particular retailer causes me grave concern. Appreciate the help.

Comment

Brooch

The fact that they have more than one of them, and the fact that they always seem to have lots of extremely rare 3rd Reich jewelry is a cause for concern, to say the least.

Comment

Buyer beware ! Seiler

Comment

A Frankenstein put together piece for sure..imperial style eagle design with SS flashes inserted...not a chance!!
                      The lock-catch pin assembly does not even look like a typical period German style...
                      I bet it's a trinket from Poland...Has it been checked for "800" silver content? If that fails also, I suggest this type of display case for it!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by NickG; 06-18-2015, 04:03 PM.

Comment

The man behind this website is Robert (Bob) Johnston. I have known Bob since 1991.

Bob had a nearly identical brooch at a MAX show circa 2005. It was nearly identical to the one posted, but had a traditional Gerrman hook and needle arrangement. It was crescent moon 800 marked.

How do I know, because I foolishly bought it.

As a 4th Reich product, it is kind of neat in its own right. Great visuals.

So much for the brooch suddenly appearing out of nowhere now the first time.

Johnston is the master silversmith of reproduction TR rings.

Johnston always has an endless supply of silver TR rings for sale. His site devotes a page, with a picture of some old German guy at a work bench, explaining how he had managed to obtain a hoard of original rings. An endless hoard. Always, always available.

So the brooch is something he made years ago, and decided enough time had passed, to bring out a new batch, this time for the sake of saving money, with an American lock system.

Comment

Originally posted by gary symonds View Post
                          the man behind this website is robert (bob) johnston. I have known bob since 1991.

Bob had a nearly identical brooch at a max show circa 2005. It was nearly identical to the one posted, but had a traditional gerrman hook and needle arrangement. It was crescent moon 800 marked.

How do i know, because i foolishly bought it.

As a 4th reich product, it is kind of neat in its own right. Great visuals.

So much for the brooch suddenly appearing out of nowhere now the first time.

Johnston is the master silversmith of reproduction tr rings.

Johnston always has an endless supply of silver tr rings for sale. His site devotes a page, with a picture of some old german guy at a work bench, explaining how he had managed to obtain a hoard of original rings. An endless hoard. Always, always available.

So the brooch is something he made years ago, and decided enough time had passed, to bring out a new batch, this time for the sake of saving money, with an american lock system.
                          case closed !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X