sigpic

Comment

1st for me too

Comment

As rare as this SS pith helmet

http://uncleeddiestheorycorner.blogs...yperborea.html
        Attached Files

Comment

Here it is with the need for a link, in case it disappears!
          (Credit goes to as tagged!)
          Attached Files

Comment

Cap

OMG - I wonder if one of those caps ever hit a gun show, and got laughed off the table

Comment

Even if I found one, I would sell it as quickly as possible. It is not something I would want for my collection.

Bob Hritz
              In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Cap

Mr. Hritz - Why? You'd probably be the only collector in the world with one of those.
                As for the most rare, I have to agree that the SS pith helmet would be the most rare. There were probably a lot more SS swimmers than there were SS Ahnenerbe fellows wearing pith helmets in Tibet.
                Maybe the swimming cap is just a converted yarmulke, and the SS guys have tiny heads.
                The guy on the right looks like a movie star.

Comment

SS beanie caps vs. SS pith helmets worn in Tibet [semantics]

Originally posted by sgstandard View Post
                  There were probably a lot more SS swimmers than there were SS Ahnenerbe fellows wearing pith helmets in Tibet.
                  Funny - I'm fairly certain there were a lot more members of the Ahnenerbe than there were swimmers wearing that beanie cap . . . now, if you were to compare the numbers of beanie caps for swimming, to pith helmets worn in Tibet - I could agree.

Comment

For the record, I could see Bob wearing that beanie cap - while doing the backstroke at his local YMCA . . . who is he trying to kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                      Even if I found one, I would sell it as quickly as possible. It is not something I would want for my collection.

Bob Hritz
                      Perhaps "cheesy" would be the word here?

CB

Comment

Why is the other swimmers cap striped ? Could it just be an innocent game of water Polo . Guards Vs. Prisoners and they couldn't get Burt Reynolds ?

Comment

The old swim caps were made of rubber, that kind of rubber came from trees, as modern vulcanized rubber was just being developed. As with old rubber toys they deteriorated unless kept in the dark , and with nothing on them to distort their shapes especially if hollow, so likely IF a swim cap such as that as version were ever found its condition would be likely to be dried out, and hard , but would crumble and break apart if not handled gingerly....and since we will never see everything ever made with SS runes on it, it is highly unlikely that unless a box of these were found that were stored properly, the value still would not make it the rarest type hat by any means.
                          With all the reproduced SS hats that are assumed to be originals made by the purest money grubbing fakers out there, to have an original SS hat if even one is difficult enough, than worrying about which one is the rarest...the rarest is the one any of us really like, but do not possess...remember this stuff was destroyed by the train car load after the war...it never even dawned on the Germans that anyone post war would ever turn this stuff into a multi billion dollar industry, and end up re manufacture it again by the train car load to sell to unsuspecting but trusting American idiots, and still today do the exact same thing....this is why I value veteran found items the most....at least you are sure of what you have, even if mediocre.
                          These questions are always interesting , but as technologies changed in plastics , rubber, and even cloth, the composition and chemicals used to create such products from the day would still be tough to match if analyzed....let's not forget that even in paints they were all lead based then, and like gilding of medals , once they realized the harm done by using such ingredients, things change as a matter of environmental necessity, and for ease of manufacturing for mass production and quality control......nice photo...at least this photo is proof such things did exist...it's just too bad the mass bombings of German cities happened, as who knows what may have survived if that had not happened. Who can say what they would do with an item like that if one were found, as the chances of ever finding more than one would give me pause...show me even one bathing cap from the fifties today...as you don't see any of them any longer...but they still make modern versions for sale....only with modern materials as the old ones disintegrated and were sent to the dump...

Comment

All old swim caps that i know aren`t made from rubber, never heard about that!

Comment

Probably just a first type sports badge attached to this racing helmet , but still ( note second type on his jacket , picture is from a 1940 race ) ..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X