Thoughts on this bullion runes tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this bullion runes tab

Without going into details, would like to hear opinions on this tab.
    Thanks and Cheers!
    CB
    Attached Files

Personally ... For me.
    This tab is well executed and designed
    But those runes aren't symmetrical
    Therefore my opinion is " FAKE "
    Regards
    David

Comment

Actually they are more symetrical and better made than the bullion tab posted a short while ago that was declared good. My old camera tends to distort things up close. If one stands back from the computer, they may look better? I am looking at some other aspects with regard to these which is why I am posting them.
      Anyway, lets see.

CB

Comment

Originally posted by cbuehler View Post
        Actually they are more symetrical and better made than the bullion tab posted a short while ago that was declared good.

CB
        CB ...
        I'll retract my that line ... Your probably right
        But my gut feelings is still telling me no !
        Regards
        David

Comment

IMO not original!

Comment

Not sure symmetry plays a part here, but I don't believe these to be good ones despite that.

-Jeremy

Comment

You are all quite correct. These runes are actually better in hand than the photo indicates, so beware out there. These are better made than many original examples, but the thread used to make the runes are not quite right.

CB

Comment

Does it have an unterlagen?

Comment

Tab

You are all quite correct. These runes are actually better in hand than the photo indicates, so beware out there. These are better made than many original examples, but the thread used to make the runes are not quite right.

CB
                  Hmmmmm??? This tab is attached to a collar so you can't see the back. Can you explain exactly what it is that makes this tab fake?? The bullion seems correct also, even though you are saying that "it is not quite right". Thread used to make the runes? What thread? This thread seems misguided, IMO. I could be wrong, but.... Please take the tab off the tunic so we can see the backside.
                  Last edited by PMan; 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PMan View Post
                    what it is that makes this tab fake??
                    Good question. That's why I asked about the unterlagen.

Comment

Good question it is! The embroidery is exceptionally tight, but I managed to pry open a bit to see if unterlagen is present, which it is, and properly done in to my knowledge.
                      I still believe this tab to be fake, but it is applied to a collar from which I cannot remove it.
                      It is the obverse which is more important than the reverse.

CB

Comment

I believe it to be a real tab, when it was sewn to the tunic who knows.

Comment

Tab

Good question it is! The embroidery is exceptionally tight, but I managed to pry open a bit to see if unterlagen is present, which it is, and properly done in to my knowledge.
                          I still believe this tab to be fake, but it is applied to a collar from which I cannot remove it.
                          It is the obverse which is more important than the reverse.

CB
                          What's important is how the tab ended up "deemed" as fake. Are you in possession of the tunic? What motivated you to post this tab as an example of a fake? I get the impression that you did it as a test. That you had prior knowledge?
                          I am a bit confused by this thread. PMan

Comment

Well folks, yes, this was intended as bit of a "test" if only to raise awareness of what is potentially fake or real.
                            The tab was obtained together with a matching rank tab (which I did not initialy photograph) for addition to a repro tunic.
                            There was nothing about the reverse of the tabs to indicate they were either good nor bad prior to attachment to the collar. Note the visible diagonal weave to the black wool backings which is not typical.
                            They were sold to me as reproductions. I had been surprised by the quality of them when they were received ( the pips are definitely real ) but believed them to be fake as I still do.
                            Attached are more photos.

CB
                            Attached Files

Comment

The bottom photo shows the angle much better. Both runes look a bit too large for the tab. In the first photo the angle changes and the tab looks trimmed and rounded. Still possible they are real but now I wonder. Was the unterlagen white ? You can buy SS runic tabs of that quality from Traders of the lost surplus. The only way to really tell is the reverse.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X