Army or SS M43 Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army or SS M43 Cap

I have always considering these H43 M43 caps to be SS issue, mainly because that seems to be the set-up for most of these examples that are intact. However, I just got this cap from a army mountain troop estate, and there is no doubt he was GJ his entire career.

The trap is removed, and so is the GJ device from the side, which doesn't show up much in the photo.

So - were these early M43s (H43 marked) exclusive to the SS, or maybe issued to the army as well?

s/f Robert
    Attached Files

Can't see much in the photos, but a side-mounted edelweiss or other device was here.
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It's a WSS M43 fieldcap.

Comment

This one wasn't, though.

Comment

Neither was this one.
            Attached Files

Comment

Robert , every M43 marked that way I've seen was a WSS M43 .
              Bill Shea have one actually for sale ( see pic ).
              They are usually marked M 43 or H 43.I remember one marked K 43.
              If possible would be interesting to see more pics of the Officer one iven if seems to me they are not exactly the same type ( see the buttons and key holes ) .
              That said , I'm open minded so when I will see an untouched Heer M43 marked that way I could change idea.
              Attached Files

Comment

Emilio, I haven't ever seen a M43 with H43 issue stamps that's army either, and was hoping someone might have an example. This one came from this soldier, and he was definitely army his whole career.

The jaeger officer cap is different than the H43-type enlisted issue, but definitely army and definitely Italian gabardine. I have wartime pictures of the officer wearing it.

s/f Robert

Comment

Agree that these markings are WSS, not Heer contract. It (they) may have been rebadged and worn by a Heer soldier.

Comment

one more
                    Attached Files

Comment

and another one
                      Attached Files

Comment

My friend's uncle sent home a box during WWII that contained a Luft helmet and two SS M43 Gabardine caps. Both are marked H43. Happily, I still own one of caps.
                        Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Could someone spare 5 mins to enlighten me what is the difference between ss and WH m43 caps?
                          i stiil cannot say which is ss or wh
                          cheers

Comment

These two-button M43's made from Italian gabardine are typically SS, both in enlisted and officer versions. They figure prominently in Beavers book and other uniform works, and are a "safe" SS type to have in collections.

The army wore them as well, but the army versions are elusive. I started this thread to see if anyone had a H43 marked cap with army insignia.

s/f Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Urka View Post
                              Could someone spare 5 mins to enlighten me what is the difference between ss and WH m43 caps?
                              i stiil cannot say which is ss or wh
                              cheers
                              M43 with two buttons were the same for Wehrmacht and the SS. Some collectors believe that SS caps never had Rbnr number on them.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,961 at 05:23 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X