X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistaken belief or Lost in Translation?

See this sales thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=786131

If the man enlisted in 1942(?), why would he have an SS VT dogtag?
    Didn't the VT all become Waffen SS in 1938 or 1939?

Tim

That's a very good point. Ok, so to the sellers credit, we see some maybes and mights, but ssvt was way earlier. The hoidal book doesn't show this imprint pattern but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. Personally, I don't go outside of the book, or Gaspares opinion becuase a great number of SS tags are fakes. We know there were reissued tags, but there's no evidence or reason to think that this was one of those tags. As to a misprint, or whether anyone in 42 got a vt tag that's just a good question... Kestenga is near the White Sea, it's probably some swampy marshy wolchow necessary muck. It's more than realistic that there's some stuff that's been eaten by the land that we wont see again, so pulling tags or more is definitely realistic. Also speaking of gaspare and wolchow sticks, please read his commentary on the "a$$ of the world" on third reich arts...http://www.thirdreicharts.com/engine...Filter=Gallery

Comment

The year I mentioned in the ad was an estimate based on the roster number suggested to me in another thread, nothing more... Why don't you ask via PM or read more carefully BEFORE before starting a thread questioning the item as a whole? The tag itself came from, I would say, the most prominent/trusted digger on this very forum --- it is 100% good. It has been vetted by several other collectors of note as well. Font matches perfectly to other 2/ A.E.R discs that are 100% genuine. It was suggested that this may well have been SS Verfugungstruppe stock tags being used up... a good possibility. No one noted a single other fault/red flag.

Please, read again:

"Low roster number of 899 which might signify this solder having been enrolled in early 1942." Not a "sales pitch" or a lie... just me sharing the info I had received.

Seems to me this is not so much about the item but rather a reading comprehension issue coupled with the sight of a slight variation tag. I don't collect fakes, I do my research on both seller and item beforehand (as best I possibly can) and neither do I intend on fooling anyone so, of course, I do not appreciate the insinuation that I might be trying to willfully mislead anyone with my sales ad.

Comment

Originally posted by slados28 View Post
        The year I mentioned in the ad was an estimate based on the roster number suggested to me in another thread, nothing more... Why don't you ask via PM or read more carefully BEFORE before starting a thread questioning the item as a whole? The tag itself came from, I would say, the most prominent/trusted digger on this very forum --- it is 100% good. It has been vetted by several other collectors of note as well. Font matches perfectly to other 2/ A.E.R discs that are 100% genuine. It was suggested that this may well have been SS Verfugungstruppe stock tags being used up... a good possibility. No one noted a single other fault/red flag.

Please, read again:

"Low roster number of 899 which might signify this solder having been enrolled in early 1942." Not a "sales pitch" or a lie... just me sharing the info I had received.

Seems to me this is not so much about the item but rather a reading comprehension issue coupled with the sight of a slight variation tag. I don't collect fakes, I do my research on both seller and item beforehand (as best I possibly can) and neither do I intend on fooling anyone so, of course, I do not appreciate the insinuation that I might be trying to willfully mislead anyone with my sales ad.
        Calm down cowboy. Perhaps you had best read the starting post again. There is no insinuation of anything here. This is a Forum, where we hope to learn by asking questions. Did you mention that I PM'd you within five minutes of posting the question on this Forum, so that you would have knowledge of the thread?? There is no subterfuge and there is no need to get rowdy. I am asking a simple question of more knowledgeable members.
        Tim

Comment

Did you just overlook absolutely everything I tried clarifying re. the item and the ad itself in my post? A few words in caps lock makes me a "cowboy"? And, oh yeah... the 5 minute notification...

Comment

I give up. there's no talkin' to some people.

Comment

Oh... there's plenty talking to me, I just don't appreciate having a thread discrediting an item I have for sale showed in my face with a "5 minute warning"... that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by TP Alexander View Post
                See this sales thread:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=786131

If the man enlisted in 1942(?), why would he have an SS VT dogtag?
                Didn't the VT all become Waffen SS in 1938 or 1939?

Tim
                OK. Here it is. Point out where, what words, discredit this item.

Comment

Tell me that that's not where most of these threads on more uncommon variants end up...

In cases where I simply do not know enough to judge one way or the other I refrain from creating topics on specific items and rather create a general topic to learn more first... then I bring up the specific item but only IF there's still reason for real doubt. Or, alternatively, I at least give the owner/seller a bit more than 5 minutes to "defend" the item/description thereof or disprove perceived issues before going "live".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X