New collector, offered 'as new' skull and eagle set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New collector, offered 'as new' skull and eagle set

Can I first say 'Hello' to all, this is obviously a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable forum

I'm looking to put together a small militaria collection, some of which I'm planning will be general German and SS items.

To kickstart this I've been to dealer and after mucho browsing have put a small deposit on a couple of items pending 'a think about it'. I'm told all are completely genuine.

The first is a set of metal cap badges. The main concern for me is their condition - they are mint like they were made last week (could they have been?). They are what I would call unissued.

Manufacture:
    Very lightweight and very certainly pressed not cast. The detail on both front and back is very fine and detailed. The metal is very thin.

Shape/size:
    The skull had a rounded forehead and well defined teeth.

Finish/condition:
    The fronts are in an 'aged grey-silver', which the seller says was an option. Totally unmarked, pristine condition.

Pins:
    Brass coloured, and totally square in profile - not flattened or round. They were held by small discs I recall.

Markings:
    Both had RZM mark, and maybe '42' but there was a couple more numbers/symbols I can't recall. I didn't know then to look for the SS runes on the skull, and totally get that the markings would have been the most important thing to remember

Whilst the set looked superb, I would prefer genuine items.

So, are these to good to be true? Do unissued sets exist, or are these post war made on original tooling perhaps?

I am planning on going back within the next week, what else should I look for?

The other item was a Kriegsmarine U-boat pen pass. This looks totally genuine - it is well aged but is a super thing IMO. Metal outer case with clear plastic windows front and back and an aluminium seal holding it all together. Dated 1943 with the chaps pictures and details (he was 15!) I am told it was taken by a British commando in a raid

The dealer has lots of stuff, and I can see it is going to be hard to resist building up a 'bigger than anticipated' collection - but only if I can trust him!

Many thanks in advance, and I will be joining to post pics when I get them as it is a small investment in what looks to be a minefield of fakes!

Yes you'll need to post photos - it's impossible to tell from a description.

Comment

First of all Welcome...

I agree with Tony, pictures would be helpful.

My advice would be to become an Association member allowing you to post pics , there are a lot of very knowledgable guys here who can help you, potentially saving you a lot of money..

Best
      Simon

Comment

young collector

hello and welcome to the WAF community! Keep in mind that the objective of a dealer is always to make a profit! It would be wise to get in touch with a serious collector in your neighboughood. We look forward to your pictures of the items you want to collect and will try to help you!

Comment

For a small cost of $25 you can post pictures
          Regards
          David

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

As I mentioned, I will be joining but I haven't got pics yet.

I am also thinking of an iron cross of some sort and so no doubt I will be seeking advice on that, and the membership will pay for itself in the advice I hopefully receive.

I'm thinking the cap set looks too good to be true!

Comment

Welcome to WAF.

It would also depend on the dealer involved, all of the shady ones are well known within the hobby, and could be a good indicator as to whether you have been offered the real deal or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ive View Post
                I'm thinking the cap set looks too good to be true!
                Beautiful, mint sets do exist BUT you are right to start with a healthy scepticism.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                  Beautiful, mint sets do exist BUT you are right to start with a healthy scepticism.

Ian
                  Amen! I wish the WAF had been around when I first started collecting. It would have saved me thousands!!!

Welcome to the forum ive and the wonderful minefield of SS collecting.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

What is the asking price for these "nice" items? J

Comment

Nice !!

Welcome to the forum, hope you will enjoy it a lot !

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the welcomes

The dealer wants £220 for the skull and eagle set, and the same for the Kiel ID pass.

I'm not 100% on wanting the ID pass, but I deffo want the badge set if it's real.

I can't get pics until next weekend probably, so I was hoping that some of my descriptions would put me out of my misery in the meantime!!

Comment

Originally posted by ive View Post
                            The dealer wants £220 for the skull and eagle set, and the same for the Kiel ID pass
                            Honestly don't hold your breath ... mint sets are very rare and very sought after. Do NOT take a punt on them without a cast-iron returns policy or having passed them by us here ... I work very hard for £220 and I'll bet you do as well.

The odds are very heavily against them sadly.

Best wishes, Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Hulley View Post
                              Honestly don't hold your breath ... mint sets are very rare and very sought after. Do NOT take a punt on them without a cast-iron returns policy or having passed them by us here ... I work very hard for £220 and I'll bet you do as well.

The odds are very heavily against them sadly.

Best wishes, Ian.
                              Yes it's a lot of money to throw away, and I won't be taking them away without getting them checked out, as I would be worried about proving to the dealer that they are fakes if that what they turn out to be.

I'm itching to find out!

Are there no thoughts on the 'square profile' pins or the 'aged silver' finish? As I have not seen any of those characteristics on any pics of badge sets I have looked at on the 'net, and that's a fair few over this weekend!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X