SS Honor Ring prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Honor Ring prices

If this ring is real.........these things sure have turned into a poor investment.

https://www.weitze.com/detail/53/SS_...f__237853.html

Are you a "Collector", or are you an "Investor"- the Age Old question we wrangle over

Real or not . . . if you are looking for an investment, it may be wise to steer clear of many TR items - as forgeries become less conspicuous, and as the knowledge for what is correct continues to obscure, seeing these things from an investment perspective could one day prove disappointing.

On the other hand, if you see these things from a collector's point-of-view - the passion pent up inside often bars one from thinking this way . . . and can make one a very happy person.

Comment

Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
      Real or not . . . if you are looking for an investment, it may be wise to steer clear of many TR items - as forgeries become less conspicuous, and as the knowledge for what is correct continues to obscure, seeing these things from an investment perspective could one day prove disappointing.

On the other hand, if you see these things from a collector's point-of-view - the passion pent up inside often bars one from thinking this way . . . and can make one a very happy person.
      Iive collected and sold TR material for over thiry years and been fortunate to make some pretty good money on the rare and top conditioned material I have sold, but I'm seeing prices on these rings dumping 30% in the last couple of years. So much for the cost of misguided passion. The only happy collector is the person who hasn't paid for Gottlieb's passion.

Comment

my opinion,,,a late pattern ring even in really good condition to a paper pusher,,$5K to $7K is it tops..

Comment

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
          my opinion,,,a late pattern ring even in really good condition to a paper pusher,,$5K to $7K is it tops..
          You're still too high. If Weitze is selling this for 5000 EUR...............he bought it for 3000 EUR. These late rings are never going anywhere but down in price; at least, in the foreseeable future.

Comment

My friend owns an orig ring.
            When I get this one hopefully sometime its the only one I want as it made its never out of Germany and not a top high end copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert H View Post
              My friend owns an orig ring.
              When I get this one hopefully sometime its the only one I want as it made its never out of Germany and not a top high end copy.

I understand that feeling, mines not minty but I absolutely love it. Sometimes I get downstairs and open up the goodies just to hold it, and look at its details. (How many smeegul jokes come out of these ring threads I wonder)

Comment

Youare going into it for the wrong reason. NEVER collect for an investment. Buy because you appreciate the history and rarity. If yo want to make money invest in other areas. You either like an HR or you don't.Ron

Originally posted by 11C View Post
                If this ring is real.........these things sure have turned into a poor investment.

https://www.weitze.com/detail/53/SS_...f__237853.html

Comment

Collecting

Byzanti sums this up open a box, hold it , stare at it... apiece of history not money. Go on some of these sites now and I just laugh !!!! Dealers are now taking the piss with very few exceptions.Have a look on E stand and see what some people are asking for stuff.This hobby should be about wanting a piece of history nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by tanker View Post
                    Youare going into it for the wrong reason. NEVER collect for an investment. Buy because you appreciate the history and rarity. If yo want to make money invest in other areas. You either like an HR or you don't.Ron
                    I've owned three of these, I only "go into it" for the right reason.

Comment

Ofcourse you must collect for the love of history in the first place and not for financial reasons. But sometimes we find the good deals if you search well, like finding a needle in a haystack and you can make a good deal. If you search quality and rare items, third reich collecting is a steady investment. If i look back in the years i collect, i only see items increasing in price.
                      Just take a look at the crazy prices people pay in auctions these days. So for the long term it's ok. For the totenkopf rings, these were hyped up by dealers and collectors a few years ago wich reflected in crazy prices. Now people are more realistic and they notice a totenkopfring is not very rare. You see them frequently for sale in worn/mint condition. The crazy prices for these items are outdated and it's good to see them getting back to 'normal' prices IMO.

Comment

I use to own an HR and was lucky to get what I paid out of it when I sold it about 5 years ago. That said, I never understood the high prices on these rings considering that so many were awarded and for most, the time of service got an SS man one.

Comment

It is like any other collectable. It all depends on who the recipient was, history, awards and rank. The more famous, the more value.
                          To me, the history is the most important, not the monetary value. Remember, only one ring per person, so despite what you may think about the quanity, they are rare. Ron

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                          I use to own an HR and was lucky to get what I paid out of it when I sold it about 5 years ago. That said, I never understood the high prices on these rings considering that so many were awarded and for most, the time of service got an SS man one.

Comment

I remember buying three HR rings from one veteran, on one of my hotel buys in 1990. Back then I could hardly sell them for $450.00 each.
                            I believe there are other TR investment better then the HR rings, they never did a thing for me, the only time I wish I still had the three is when they were bringing crazy prices a few years ago.
                            I have made very good money buying and selling TR items, but then again I was buying mostly from veterans.
                            If you are buying from dealers only, then it may be a while before you realize a profit.
                            Thanks,
                            Bob

Comment

Like I said, don't buy for investments! You either like them or don't. If you don't like them don't buy them. Buy another item that you like. Sure, we all bought things years ago for less but that doesn't make them bad collectables. I am getting sick of hearing about how they are not good investments, not worth what folks are paying or selling for.When you bought years ago, nobody even knew what they were. Ron

Originally posted by bgrelics View Post
                              I remember buying three HR rings from one veteran, on one of my hotel buys in 1990. Back then I could hardly sell them for $450.00 each.
                              I believe there are other TR investment better then the HR rings, they never did a thing for me, the only time I wish I still had the three is when they were bringing crazy prices a few years ago.
                              I have made very good money buying and selling TR items, but then again I was buying mostly from veterans.
                              If you are buying from dealers only, then it may be a while before you realize a profit.
                              Thanks,
                              Bob
                              Last edited by tanker; 02-21-2015, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X