SS 4 year for review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS 4 year for review

I just want to make sure this is good, I plan on adding it to my collection.

No need to worry...it's a good one.

Regards,
    Chris G.

Comment

Becoming quite rare these days too
      Regards
      David

Comment

A nice original one.

My books:

- THE WEHRPAß & SOLDBUCH OF THE WH
        - THE SS TK RING
        - THE ITALIAN-GERMAN MEDAL
        - THE ANTI PARTISAN BADGE
        - THE AWARDS OF THE LW

and more!

sigpic

Comment

Agreed, textbook Type II SS-DA IV in excellent condition with original ribbon. I also have noticed that good examples of these are becoming more scarce recently, which can probably be attributed to their relative affordability. The 8 year awards, on the other hand, seem to be as common as muck at the moment?

Comment

I have seen a lot more 8 year medals recently, many at less than what a 4 year cost, are the 4 year medals more valuable? I like the design better, but I know they were only for enlisted men while the 8 year was for officers as well so I figured the 8 year would be more expensive.

Comment

Gents, what would you pay for one in this condition? I'm considering one, thanks in advance.

Regards
              Samir

Comment

I got this one for $500 which I consider a great deal. I gave one up 2 years ago for $400 and have dreaded it ever since. I feel lucky to get one back for only $100 more. I would say its worth $600-$700 retail if not more.

Comment

What does everyone else think? Also are 8 year medals more desirable? It seems like 4 year medals bring the same cost if not a little more in some cases which I find strange. I like the 4 year design much better, but that's just me.

Comment

It could be argued that it is as simple as 'supply & demand' but I think that it is similar to any other type of award/badge collecting practice, in that it is basic human nature to laud greater distinction on that which we perceive to represent a greater achievement or that which we see as having the more aesthetically superior appearance. With military award collecting, this attitude can become quite contradictory in that whilst we may place a higher monetary value on an award that was bestowed on a fewer number of people (therefore allegedly equating to the item being more "rare"), many of us are then prepared to pay an even higher premium for a 'mint/unissued' example, but the very fact that unissued examples exist must surely mean that it is no more rare than a lower grade of the same award, due to the amount which were originally produced.
                    At the end of the day, it should really come down to personal preference, such as yourself valuing the 4 year SS-award higher than the 8 year or Joe Bloggs valuing the 25 year SS award at 6k whereas I personally would value it less than the 4 year, simply because it was never bestowed.

Comment

Originally posted by J C Gray View Post
                      It could be argued that it is as simple as 'supply & demand' but I think that it is similar to any other type of award/badge collecting practice, in that it is basic human nature to laud greater distinction on that which we perceive to represent a greater achievement or that which we see as having the more aesthetically superior appearance. With military award collecting, this attitude can become quite contradictory in that whilst we may place a higher monetary value on an award that was bestowed on a fewer number of people (therefore allegedly equating to the item being more "rare"), many of us are then prepared to pay an even higher premium for a 'mint/unissued' example, but the very fact that unissued examples exist must surely mean that it is no more rare than a lower grade of the same award, due to the amount which were originally produced.
                      At the end of the day, it should really come down to personal preference, such as yourself valuing the 4 year SS-award higher than the 8 year or Joe Bloggs valuing the 25 year SS award at 6k whereas I personally would value it less than the 4 year, simply because it was never bestowed.

Very good point, I personally like the design of the 4 year better so that is why I picked this medal over an 8 year from the same seller. It looks like it finally made it out of customs after 2 weeks in New York, so it should hopefully arrive today! I cant wait!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X