No announcement yet.

Opinion on SS overseas cap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This cap has me bedazzled. I have never seen such a thing and it holds original insignia. The pinky liner makes me want to be sick but is it a possiblity? and why would a faker add original insignia to a duff cap?

Comment

i think the cap you show was in kit wilson s ss headgear book of about 15 years ago..that book seemed to have the good the bad and the ugly...

Comment

re

Originally posted by Tom Mumby
        This cap has me bedazzled. I have never seen such a thing and it holds original insignia. The pinky liner makes me want to be sick but is it a possiblity? and why would a faker add original insignia to a duff cap?
        Hello Tom an original tropical skull isn,t the big money
        but the eagle, that is where I,m concernd about
        IMO a tropical cap eagle can cost you about 700 $ or even more
        sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

re

Hello Paul
          I just take a very close look at he eagle
          How is it possible that some parts of the eagle are more yellow
          then other parts

Comment

Well actually its incorrect to say the ss never wore a tropical side, they did they were though not ss made or made for the ss but from LW stocks
            cheers,
            Gary

Comment

What's everyone's opinion about the sloppy application?

It wasn't tucked in neatly, leaving a sloppy appearance. The look gave me the feeling of someone with not alot of experiance did the sew job using unissued insigna.

Comment

Ss

Hi

my friend said he bought this from a Kit Wilson and said something about a book!

To be honest I don't know who kit is and friend said he has had this 6 or 7 yrs!

I myself have never seen the color liner
                like this in any books!

I also saw the sloppy sew thats why I showed it!

Hope others chime in!

Thanks for looking!
                PaulV

Comment

Yes, this cap looks to be that in the Wilson book. Now this sidecap looks too funny.

However these insignia are not rare and someone (k. Wilson?)has added them to a repro hat with a fake stamp and all!

Willi's WSS tropical overseas cap is a peach, it was posted on GDC some years ago. I believe it is also in the Wilkins book on page 144.

Here are some real sweet tropical insignia which are somewhat more rare...
                  Jerry
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here is that elusive tropical cap eagle. This is about 2o times more rare than a flatwire officer eagle in my opinion! (Johnny, r u still lookin 4 1?)

Jerry
                    Attached Files

Comment

and in regards to the sloppy handsewn bevo insignia many of the tropical ss caps seem to have it sewn just that way...

Comment

Originally posted by billbert
                        i think the cap you show was in kit wilson s ss headgear book of about 15 years ago..that book seemed to have the good the bad and the ugly...
                        More bad and ugly than good.

Comment

For my opinion tropical insignias are still more often offered then the regular skull / eagle patterns. The SS got tropical overseas caps for sure, and when I am right Greg Aloisio got one at the MAX 04 with his outstanding saharina tunic for his great display. But I suggest this shown cap is a KM one with a very bad BW stamping and later sewn on insignias. If the insignias by self are original or not, I have big doubts.

Comment

re

Originally posted by Robert Hassler
                            For my opinion tropical insignias are still more often offered then the regular skull / eagle patterns..
                            Do you also mean the ss-tropical cap eagle,then I want to trade for some regular one

Comment

Yes I mean also the tropical eagle, it is also in the collector interest what he likes or not. I see certain dealers/collectors they have a harder time to sell any tropical skull or eagle, and the regular W-SS insignias find much faster a new home. And I wouldn´t spend $350 for a tropical eagle at all because this is not that for what I look. But it is everybodys own choice.

Comment

Robert,
                                Correct, the value is set by the buyer! However, I don't know about you guys but I have NEVER ever seen a tropical CAP eagle for sale on a dealer site. However, I have purchased flatwire cap eagles from two different dealers over the past few years.
                                In fact most surviving tropical WSS caps are sans eagle.

The one on this Wilson hat looks like a dyed standard enlisted or a repro to me, can't tel from pics.
                                Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 12 users online. 0 members and 12 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X