Blank tabs opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank tabs opinions!

I have these blank tabs which I am on the fence about. As can be seen, the top one looks rather too small and the least convincing to me.
    The middle is slightly larger like the originals and also has a single thread of black tacking stitched around the back as can be seen.
    The bottom one had 3 pips removed and has remains of thread around the edge indicating it once had piping.
    Thanks much folks!

CB
    Attached Files

I think better pictures of the backs are in order. Here are the middle and bottom tabs.

CB
    Attached Files

Comment

Tabs

The tab in the middle is an original tab. However, it's possible that it's not SS, but possibly from the SA (Berlin Br. or Niederrhein - both wore black). The SA collar tabs are a little longer than SS tabs, and not as scarce. That buckrum material is often used on SA tabs, and sometimes on SS tabs as well. The tab on the top looks like period wool badge cloth, but the white glue is post-war. Usually the presence of white glue is the death-knell for collar tabs, but sometimes SOME original tabs have their flaps post-war glued to keep them in place. Even if that tab is original, the white glue definitely decreases it's value.
      I don't know about that bottom one, but the middle tab IS a period-made original.

Comment

Thanks much for that. It had never crossed my mind that the center one might be SA. It is sometimes impossible to be sure on some of this stuff.

CB

Comment

It's kind of an "in-between" size, IMO, and could go either way, but leaning toward SA shape.Ii'm also basing the assessment somewhat on the odds alone. The tab looks early, and the number of SA men far exceeded that of the SS as I understand.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X