Hans Weissenbock Tunic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hans Weissenbock Tunic

Seems my thread disappeared. I am trying to search for the thread about my old tunic which I keep receiving PMs about, from people also looking for that thread. If anyone can help find it I would appreciate it. When I posted it ,it was questioned by two leading forum experts Glenn McInnes and B.N. Singer as being a humped up heer tunic badged for an SS officer. I would post pictures of the tunic but cannot since my membership dissolved after changing my email address I wont renew it until October when it is due. People are asking for opinion on it and would like to see any threads that discuss the pieces merits since that thread was a conversation between several forum "experts" I would like to locate it.

It was a good thread but I no longer see it on the waf. It had a nice picture of the tunic that was taken in the early 1970s.

Comment

Well let's see,was it not determined that the eagle was replaced at some point (if the eagle was off and replaced then the law of averages would most likely point to the collar tabs being replaced as well) and then the poorly sewn German Cross to an officer with no documented proof of him ever being awarded such.

And then the very crude (almost printed) hand written name on the tailors label,unlike any neat period hand written German cursive that I have ever seen before.

That said,you can't blame anyone for "entertaining doubts" about it being humped up.

I don't know what happened to your thread but if you deleted all of the pictures (like you have done many times in the past) then it was probably deleted as doing such leaves a thread useless.

Glenn
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

not sure but its looks like here is the tunic,?
        http://www.virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=2890

Comment

Yes, that's it. If anyone can find the thread let me know and I will add it to the URLs at the bottom of the description. Also, I'm happy to add any requested photos here.

Comment

I do believe the Eagle was re-sewn to the tunic but all the other insignias were originally sewn when the tunic was tailored this can be seen by examining the collar. When the DKiG was added is up to speculation. It would be easy to mistake it for a retailored heer tunic but it is not.

Helmut Weitze recently had a similar tailored tunic to an SS officer from Berlin the tunics it was determined were manufactured for a civilian outfit of the Reich but it seems some SS personnel liked them and had them tailored to their taste. They are definitely not re-tailored heer tunics.

A thread about the Weitze tunic was started in the Heer uniform section but I cant find it and do not frequent the forum as much as I used to. Wish I hadn't sold that one it is a truly nice uniform.
            Last edited by John Pic; 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, not that people necessarily read these things but the sales description does refer to the accompanying WAF discussion URLs and includes these lines "...one thread also states that the sleeve eagle was reapplied..." as well as "...please note that the research documents do not support award of either EKII or DKiG...". I thought the meaning of those statements pretty clear. As John wrote, the garment is definitely not a re-worked Heer blouse.

Comment

This uniform is known in collector circles with the provenance, blouse and insignia well vetted. The officers document archive is in collector hands having recently gone through auction, and his Ausweis appears in Charles Barger`s book on SS docs, on page 28.
                It has been criticized, rightfully so, for the presence of a sewn on German Cross and Iron Cross ribbon that were likely not awarded to this SS officer and not original to the blouse. Both of these were amateurishly sewn on. The cloth German Cross and Iron Cross ribbon have been carefully removed without damage to the blouse. It is worth noting that virtually no shadow was left by the presence of either award. This lends credence to the idea that they were collector additions never worn even if late war awards.
                The tunic is original as tailored by the company of Joseph Andrysek and named on the label in period ink. The Viennese tailor label corresponds with the officers last wartime posting at the Vienna NPEA school. The uniform has a collector history since the late 1960's though it wasn't until years later that research was done on the officer. All insignia is unquestioned original. The sleeve eagle is neatly resewn, probably post war. The 'old fighters ' chevron and collar tabs are wartime original as worn, correctly sewn and not by the same hand as the eagle.
                Weissenbock's personnel file confirms is that he received the Old Fighters Chevron, Totentkopfer ring der SS, Sports Badge in Bronze, KVK II, and the Eastern Front medal for service in the cavalry regiment. There are loops for the Sports Badge and a long ribbon bar, possibly reflecting pre-war or State awards not in his file.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice and interesting tunic with provenance. It would be nice too see better photos of details. Very attractive.

Jack

Comment

Thanks, I'm a horrid photographer but will do my best to post any detail of interest!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Pics from when I owned it and was told by a forum member/moderator that it was a humped up M43. Obviously it is not. A very nice uniform. Same moderator in the original deleted thread and a couple of his buddies claimed the sleeve eagle was fake as well obviously it is a very nice original a bit worn but correct in every way.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by John Pic; 12-23-2018, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I owned this tunic... and I can state it's certainly not humped up.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. No doubts on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
                            Thank you gentlemen. No doubts on this one!
                            john pic Knows what he is doing !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X