SS Collar tabs set (SS-Mann)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Collar tabs set (SS-Mann)

This pair has been posted on the insignia table ....

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=744386

Am I missing something here .... ?
    Or are these runic s something I need to have in the collection to say .... " Yes I have one of those too " ?
    Regards
    David

I see it often that people don't study period pictures and have only the standard tabs in their mind but there are more variations as you can see also here on this period picture where you can see the same tab with the wider standing blocked runes.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here another picture with the same blocked shapeless runes on the left and the sharp runes on the right.
      Attached Files

Comment

Note the arch in the middle on the right side of each rune in the pictures you posted isn't the same as the one for sale on the Estand. The image of the NCO's also shows a completely different variant...in fact. Your comment, "I see often people don't study period pictures and only have standard [examples] in their mind" couldn't be further from the truth. Most collectors I'm aware of know of these early "skinny" styled runic examples and study not only period pictures, but documentation too which often tells us much more.
        Anyways, the problem here is the tab set currently available on the Estand doesn't compare well with original examples of this style IMO. I currently have no proof they're copies however but they certainly are not a set for my collection.

-- ----- --

If you took some of your own advice and really studied your images I wouldn't have had to point the above out.
        Last edited by codytrcollector; 06-16-2014, 07:57 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Hurray .. !

But in support of David's faith in non-textbook , and especially DUTCH made items ,

I will now for the very first time - reveal a 100% woodwork find =

a period Dutch handmade cottage industry item -

worn & found in Holland 1945 - it is quite FAR from textbook ,

but it is one of my favourites .

Somehow you must be able to feel the difference even from the pics .

I actually think this one is so special , that one day it will deserve a thread of it's own .. ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Your tab certainly deserves its own thread in my opinion. I can honestly say this is the first time I've ever encountered such a style on a runic tab, original or reproduction. Even the material appears quite different than the norm.
            It should also be noted that I am completely for non-textbook items, especially in regards to these tabs, just as so long it is approached with a sensible mindset and true concrete evidence can be provided. This is the reasoning behind my saying that I can't disprove the set currently without any doubt whatsoever. What I can say for certain however is they do appear to display several characteristics one will find on a reproduction, they do not show any signs of being foreign produced, and that the majority of non-textbook example, almost all in fact, are reproduction. We must be conscious that the non-textbook theorization is the perfect way for the scammers to peddle out fakes to the novice collector.
            Simply put, I've been in many of situation where I could've purchased a non-textbook tab. I've always passed on said opportunities as I personally would hate to always question the originality of one of my items.

Comment

Nice example Winkelman. Also most people think tabs with hand-embroidered cotton runes doesn't exist.
              I agree that the majority of non-textbook examples are indeed reproductions but you can easely see that my tab isn't some bad fake design as you can see here which I especially made for codytrcollector who clearly isn't aware of that and is only nitpicking. There are many,many different designs of course, this is only a rough comparison. You can see that it's the real deal when you are comparing this with a tab on a period photo as you can see here. Or you must think it's a fake photo or he has a fake tab.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hardigan View Post
                Nice example Winkelman. Also most people think tabs with hand-embroidered cotton runes doesn't exist.
                I agree that the majority of non-textbook examples are indeed reproductions but you can easely see that my tab isn't some bad fake design as you can see here which I especially made for codytrcollector who clearly isn't aware of that and is only nitpicking. There are many,many different designs of course, this is only a rough comparison. You can see that it's the real deal when you are comparing this with a tab on a period photo as you can see here. Or you must think it's a fake photo or he has a fake tab.

I am still NOT convinced that the tab held is the same as the one in the photo.
                Regards
                David

Comment

Ok, another comparison for you and codytrcollector who says it's completely different. That's the problem if you don't have an eye for it, then you will see things which aren't there !
                  As you can see, it's completely the same design !
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hardigan View Post
                    Ok, another comparison for you and codytrcollector who says it's completely different. That's the problem if you don't have an eye for it, then you will see things which aren't there !
                    As you can see, it's completely the same design !
                    No its NOT ...
                    How can you say that from this photo ?
                    Whats wrong with your eye-sight ?
                    The one in the picture is looking more and more like a standard RZM issue
                    The runes are much fatter in the image ...
                    Regards
                    David

Comment

I don't think I would want these in my collection.

Comment

Hardigan
                        I can't tell you if your tab is good or bad it's sometimes hard to decide on variants.
                        I don't like to pass judgement on something when i'm not 100% because i could be rubbishing a good item so i won't comment on the tab.
                        But i do agree with all comments that say your tab is not the same as the one in the pictures you have posted.For me non of the period pics are clear or detailed enough plus with the angle of the collar can make the runes seem distorted and hard to prove either way if they are the same as yours or not.
                        In one of your post you commented ( then you will see things which aren't there !) I think this statment could also aply to you I'm not saying your tab is bad or good but in the past i have had what was called non standard or locally made items even though i had slight doubt i found myself trying to convince myself they were real.
                        Cheers
                        Dave.

Comment

If it's not for your collection, ok fine. The point is that you guys are trying to say this is a completely different tab with misshapen runes etc..and not comparable with the ones in period photos. I showed you and especially in the last photo that it's not.

Comment

Thank you David and Sam ...
                            Your comments are well received.
                            I would also like to point out by having no proof or solid evidence for these tabs you just might be selling a newbie a duff pair of tabs that could harm his collecting days for a long time.
                            IMO ....
                            Regards
                            David

Comment

If you are a newbie, you can discuss it here, so he knows what he's buying. But this is for the more advanced collector who likes another variant. I'm not going to push anyone.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X