Ss pennant?? Roundel.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ss pennant?? Roundel.....

Hello gents. This turned up in a larger lot that I sourced directly from a WWII veterans estate. As I was sorting through the items, I simply passed it off as a standard sports shirt emblem. However, after posting a photo of the overall grouping, another WAF member kindly alerted me to the fact that the colors are reversed for a sports shirt emblem....BUT, after consulting one of my references, I believe I just solved the mystery. Safe to assume a FIRST PATTERN Sports insignia, (reversed colors)??
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 02-10-2014, 04:06 PM.

...And for reference sake, an overall shot of the majority of the estate group...
    Attached Files

Comment

The colours are from whats known as the first pattern sports vest emblem.
      However its not the same weave or design as one would expect but I like it.
      It could be something you see on leather motorbike jackets
      Regards
      David

Comment

Both versions for comparison.
        Yours appears t0 be larger than either.

Joe
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. In the photo reference I have on SS cloth, it shows a photo of several men wearing SS sports insignia on their "warm up" jackets and shirts, both early and late. The two examples shown with the white runes seem to be consummate in size with the "standard" second pattern. Seems there might've been several variations....Here's an additional picture of a second pattern in unissued condition (also w/ RZM label), that I found at a yard sale last year in a photo album full of WWII patches & ephemera...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Milton; 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

The second pattern comes in at least three sizes. I do not know if what you have is a first pattern or something else. Size would be a factor in identification, neat piece.

Comment

Hi John. Yes, I suppose in this case size DOES matter. It measures 5 inches in diameter...

Comment

Pretty darn cool piece!!! Never seen this version before.

Comment

SS 1st Pattern Sport insignia

I have a similar SS sport insignia, but it is much smaller with a diameter of about 2.5 inches. It was glued into an album.
                  Attached Files

Comment

SS 1st Pattern Sport Shirt insignia

Here is the more standard 1st pattern SS sport shirt insignia with a cloth RZM tag.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Early 1st pattern SS sport shirt insignia, chain stitched, on a shirt.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Early SS sport shirt insignia, chain stitched on a white shirt.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice collection! Seems there were quite a few variations!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                          X