No announcement yet.

SS Officers Sword from Nordhausen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great stuff! Just a bit curious, she just mailed the P38 in a box!?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
      Simply amazing and look how mint the Himmler is! And all for free, wow, lucky guy, congrats!!
      I'm sure we are all thinking, how did she and you get in contact Jimmy?
      I bought the Luger rig from a local gun dealer. Most complete Luger rig I have ever seen. At the time I found out all I could from the dealer who bought it from a walkin at a show in Sun City Florida. He gave me the info off of the 4473 and I contacted the vet to see if he would give me the details of his aquisition of the Luger. We talked for several hours about his service, winning 2 Bronze stars, Getting the luger in Eschwieler. He also told me about Nordhausen-Dora, that he was one of the first in to the camp and he had pictures. He mentioned that he had other souvenirs that he picked up there, but was not interested in selling at this time. We continued to corresponed until he passed away in 2012. I continued keeping in touch with his wife and daughter getting as many details of his story as possible. Last week I got a call from his daughter that her mother was finally able to let some of his stuff from the war go. They wanted to keep his uniforms and one of the Bronze Stars. She said she was sending me a package that her father and mother wanted me too have. I was the only one who expressed an appreciation for what he went through. She said It was a sword and a few more patches and pictures. I figured probably an Army sword, no big deal. When I opened the box I almost passed out when that grip and portepee came in to view. I called to let her know it got here and express my gratefulness. His wife told me this was the stuff he had got from the camp that he had mentioned on more than one occasion. She said there were some more things but would have to locate them. She would take no money. Now I was really paying attention when her daughter called this week and said she was sending me some more stuff, German medals and such, and a surprise. She felt the P38 was the biggest surprise not knowing about the Himmler being such a big deal. I almost couldn't sleep last night for researching on line....

Comment

Originally posted by sgabrie854 View Post
        Great stuff! Just a bit curious, she just mailed the P38 in a box!?
        No.....When we talked she mentioned that she found the other pistol her father had. I had her send that to the same dealer I purchased the Luger from that started this as he is a good friend of mine.

Comment

You should buy the family a brick at the National Museum of the Army which is currently under construction in VA. A personalized brick with the vets name and unit with WWII. The bricks will line the walk way up to the museum. Google it or PM me for details.

Comment

This is incredible story.

Comment

Originally posted by sgabrie854 View Post
              You should buy the family a brick at the National Museum of the Army which is currently under construction in VA. A personalized brick with the vets name and unit with WWII. The bricks will line the walk way up to the museum. Google it or PM me for details.
              This is worth me looking into

Comment

All truly amazing! The stuff one only dreams about, but not for you! Congrats!

Comment

Update

Thanks everyone. I have been actively looking at anything I can find on Nordhausen the liberation and Baer in particular. Seems he shed his SS alter ego when he left the gate of Nordhausen. His adjutant seemed to remain visible at least a while longer. But then again he was not as big a fish as his boss. If anyone could give pointers in any direction I may not have looked in, as always thanks for any and all help given.........Jimmy

Comment

Very very cool and heartening to know gems are still out there waiting to be discovered.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X