Billy Kramer

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SEPP DIETRICH's Summer Tunic / One and the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure Sepp had a couple of tunics. Also of summer tunics.

Kind regards

Uli

Comment

Oh how the web weaves . . .

In the photo posted by Markus . . . the cut and construction of the lapels are certainly not the same - and that should be very obvious to everyone. Therefore, it should be equally obvious to everyone, that to make such comparison is nothing less than futile.

Although the original question raised may have no merit, there are now two subsequent questions that may be worthy to further explore - are there more than one "summer-weight" tunics [of Dietrich] out there . . . and if so, then where is the conclusive photograph of the tunic that is pictured in the Beaver book?

Comment

I still kick myself for passing on that Golden Sleeve Title some 3 years ago...but at the time it was still a lot of money ...

There was one photo of the Beaver-Book tunic in the Wisch-Group estate.

Cheers,
        Markus

Comment

He had several different tan tunics and many uniforms. I have photos of Sepp wearing this exact tunic. To my knowledge there are only two pics of him wearing this tunic near Metz, I own both pics.

I own the tunic from Shea/Beaver and it's the real deal gents. It is not the same as the one you guys are comparing it to (the period pics).

There are details not published or posted. Anyone who thinks otherwise please pay me a visit to see it, my museum rooms are open to any collectors. But I will not post it in detail sorry.
          Last edited by DougB; 01-26-2014, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks Doug.

I think no one here doubts the existence of your tunic and that it was actually worn by "Der Sepp" on occasions.

Even though I don't have any time for it anymore, I have been working on a new book on Dietrich during the past 2 years. I flew to Germany 4 times last year alone to make interviews and got the wonderful chance to dive deeper into this man's life. A very controversial figure with many beautiful different angles to look at. Some very bright and some extremely dark.

Looking at Dietrich's movement pattern before and after the war it becomes obvious, that he needed uniforms and accounterments in several locations in Germany and outside for official and private purposes. There were weeks/months (!) he spent away from his troops and he constantly "lived out a suitcase", pretty much as a modern business executive.

After the war uniforms were recovered from several locations (no, he did not have a house in Berchtesgarden), including Berlin where the Soviets recovered quanities of mtrl incl. uniforms with golden and silver (still) insignia.

Dietrich even gave momentos to former comrades as a sign of loyality and gratitude for their support during the hard and frustrating years he spent in prision, while his private life went down the drain...

He was certainly one of the most charismatic Waffen-SS leaders whose career and life will continue to fascinate generations to come.

"...and bring me back my boys...!"

Cheers,
            Markus

Comment

Hi Markus, your scholarly endeavors into his life and history are indeed worthy of a book.

This tunic not only has clear photographic provenance but also precise historical provenance, there is no doubt whatsoever in this tunic due to both.

Comment

Would really like to read the Dietrich book.

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                  I still kick myself for passing on that Golden Sleeve Title some 3 years ago...but at the time it was still a lot of money ...

Cheers,
                  Markus
                  I need that CT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rob NL View Post
                    I need that CT!!!
                    I know man, we're just gonna jinx that price up to 100k in a bidding war! hehe

Comment

Originally posted by markus View Post
                      I know man, we're just gonna jinx that price up to 100k in a bidding war! hehe

Comment

marcus:

Sepp had to have more than one of the Summer dress tunics because 'Jack' Angolia told me years ago that HE owned Sepp's "white" Summer dress tunic.

This one shown must be a 'tailored' one because there are no 'pleats' on the breast pockets & they also do not slant inward. Also, there are no collar tabs or 'traces' of where they would have been attached.

Ron.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X