ss tunic authenticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss tunic authenticity

hi guys, i wanted to get some thoughts on this tunic. i'll admit up front, uniforms are NOT my strong suit... but after seeing all those great uniform displays on here, damn me but i'm getting the bug now. i know this seller, and have purchased several authentic items from him before. he states the tunic is 100%, but i know after reading here how good the fakes are getting... i just want to be sure. i have asked for closer/larger pics... but maybe these will help for now. the right hand runic tab has been edited as he is in germany. any help greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

John ,first the shoulder straps are for Heer .The collar tabs have been replaced and a bad job at that.It looks to be a Heer tunic that has been reworked ....

Comment

even for the WH tunic byself I have my doubts, but I am happy it´s not another barn found about the condition

Comment

I don't see anything I like about this one. Run away from it as fast as you can.

If you are new to uniforms might I suggest that you start out with waffenrocks until you gain some experience. They are less expensive and haven't been heavily reproduced, yet. There are still some pitfalls you have to watch for with them, but less so that other types of tunics.
        AUTHOR OF:

sigpic

GERMAN ARMY SHOULDER STRAPS AND BOARDS - 1933-1945

Comment

I think the whole tunic is a fake....

Comment

Fake

The tunic is new made and sold through several dealers here in the U.S. The German distributor is Sturm. While the weight, weave and color of the wool are excellent, the narrow red piped shoulder boards and EKI loops on the breast pocket are a dead give away. These are leaps and bounds better than most repro's made, but with 100% certainty, this is not real. I have had one of these next to original tunics, and it is amazing. It scares me to death to think how many of these will be "doctored" and sold as real in the next few years. This seller has done almost nothing to try and make this one look better. As fakers pick up on the small problems, there is one saving grace. The buttonholes are the correct corded keyhole, and even sewn in the correct color, but they are about 3mm too narrow. While this is plenty big enough for a button to go through, the buttonhole ribbons just don't fit through them!

-Patrick

Comment

guys... i really don't know what i would do without you. thank you so much, and this again is another reason i pretty much keep to awards and decorations. i think i will take the good advice on starting out with a waffenrock, and then... gradually moving into something else as i gain more insight, understanding and knowledge. thanks again! john

Comment

Originally posted by John Ammons
                i know this seller, and have purchased several authentic items from him before. he states the tunic is 100%...
                Hello John,

You may want to be a little more careful with any seller that states this tunic is 100%. If he's willing to sell it to you stating that, well you get my drift.

I bought one of these tunics from the Sportsmans Guide and made my own WSS NCO - knowing I wouldn't have an original for quite a while... if ever.

Here it is. Note the shoulder boards and rank tab are homemade.
                Attached Files

Comment

Full view.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Tunic

Isn't that first tunic an Ebay special ..... ??? What do you expect ...??? David

Comment

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
                      Isn't that first tunic an Ebay special ..... ??? What do you expect ...??? David
                      Yep! These tunics have flooded ebay... some being sold as plain repros and others as rare "barn finds".

Comment

david, thanks for showing your tunic to me... i like it! i suspect that i will do pretty much the same until i can get my claws and budget into a real one. the tunic i posted was from ebay, and having followed many threads here including the barn finds, i know better. i think i was trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt as i had bought from him previously and everything had been quite correct and original... that was my mistake, and probably the weak spot in my armor he was looking for. lesson well learned, and thanks again guys.

Comment

Definitely Ebay. They are all over the place now in addition to all the Swedish tunics with reworked insignia. Waffenrocks arent cheap either but arent they being reproduced as well? I hope not as you say, the combat tunics are the most common reproduction uniform.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X