• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Totenkopf ring and SS Leistungrune on sale

Dear Sirs,

I found them on sale on www.weitze.net

What do you think about?
    I'm a profane of Totenkopfring but I dont like it:it seems like a private purchase o something like that but not a SS standard ring.
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=62618
    and then the ultra rare Leistungrune...looks ok to my profane heyes...
    http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...=562761#562761

Cheers.
    Tom

Tom.

The proficiency rune looks fine.

The ring has a 'non-regulation' date, but such dates are known on a few of the earlier pattern rings, which this one is, made before the date regulations were published. 7th March 1936 was the day Germany reoccupied the Rhineland, and the Leibstandarte was in the vanguard of Nazi forces entering Saarbruecken. The ring was probably awarded to commemorate particular merit in this high profile and very (politically) risky operation. It looks OK and is in surprisingly good condition for such an early example.
    Last edited by Robin Lumsden; 10-27-2004, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Tom,

All the Leistungsrunen on the Weitze site are 100% and very nice examples. I note on the other forum your question is directed at Robin. Perhaps you have Robin's book so I'll point out for your information the Leistungsrunen Herr Weitze has are not the type shown in Robins book, they are of the type shown in the Andrew Mollo series of SS books and the well known 'For Fuehrer and Fatherland' by Angolia.

As far as I know the Weitze badges are the only type I know to reside with a former SS recipient of the award.

Both types are believed original, the one in Robins books and the Weitze badges.

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
      Tom.

The proficiency rune looks fine.

The ring has a 'non-regulation' date, but such dates are known on a few of the earlier pattern rings, which this one is, made before the date regulations were published. 7th March 1936 was the day Germany reoccupied the Rhineland, and the Leibstandarte was in the vanguard of Nazi forces entering Saarbruecken. The ring was probably awarded to commemorate particular merit in this high profile and very (politically) risky operation. It looks OK and is in surprisingly good condition for such an early example.

Comment

Tom, just to add, both types of badges are seen in available literature. To see a period photo of the types shown in Robins books take a look at my web site, see link in signature below, where you can see a picture published in 1944.

Also in the Roger Bender Military Advisor Magazine, can't recall the issue right now, but I helped Roger put an article together on this badge. You can see a period photo of the type Weitze has, obverse and reverse, also the Heinrich Hoffman period photo of the type in Robins book, obverse only. (Publisher mixed up some of the annotation but the pics are period.)

Originally posted by Steve T
        Tom,

All the Leistungsrunen on the Weitze site are 100% and very nice examples. I note on the other forum your question is directed at Robin. Perhaps you have Robin's book so I'll point out for your information the Leistungsrunen Herr Weitze has are not the type shown in Robins book, they are of the type shown in the Andrew Mollo series of SS books and the well known 'For Fuehrer and Fatherland' by Angolia.

As far as I know the Weitze badges are the only type I know to reside with a former SS recipient of the award.

Both types are believed original, the one in Robins books and the Weitze badges.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X