Armband...what do I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armband...what do I look for?

I am a novice at German WWII collectables. I am in negotiations with someone for a party armband (Red band, white circle, black swastika). He claims that it is a relative's wartime collection that was brought back from Holland during the Battle of the Bulge. Obviously, I can't take him at his word, so please what do I look for to verify authenticity? If it is genuine, what is it worth? I am asking for photos and will post if I get them.
    Thanks for the help,
    Monty
    Last edited by grimesinma; 10-27-2004, 08:32 AM.

I'm not an expert, but the first thing I would do is Blacklight it. If it is a modern fibre the white will glow like no tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to see this arm band first hand. I'd like to get some feeling for authentication based on photos only. I've seen a picture of it (that I no longer have) along with some other items that this person is selling. I do remember that the swastika was sewn together using multiple pieces.
      Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by grimesinma
        Thanks for the response. I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to see this arm band first hand. I'd like to get some feeling for authentication based on photos only. I've seen a picture of it (that I no longer have) along with some other items that this person is selling. I do remember that the swastika was sewn together using multiple pieces.
        Thanks again
        Party armbands are rather common. Good ones can be had for $50. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about one that can't be authenticated.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
          Party armbands are rather common. Good ones can be had for $50. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about one that can't be authenticated.
          Is this the armband that you are referring to that is worth about $50?

Comment

Another photo:

Comment

And another:

Comment

Originally posted by grimesinma
                Is this the armband that you are referring to that is worth about $50?
                Well, it took a lot of retries to get the photos from your server, so I am going to repost them here directly in the forum.

This armband is very poorly made. I suppose it is possible that some early SA member's grandma put it together on her sewing machine, but there would be no way to prove this.

I would stay away from this one.
                Attached Files

Comment

I recommend you purchase one from a respected dealer, you can find them as they are more common. The party official armbands are nicer in my opinion because of the oak leave embroidery and command more money of course.

Believe the item not the story.

I dont like the one posted either.

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
                    Well, it took a lot of retries to get the photos from your server, so I am going to repost them here directly in the forum.

This armband is very poorly made. I suppose it is possible that some early SA member's grandma put it together on her sewing machine, but there would be no way to prove this.

I would stay away from this one.
                    Thanks for the photo hosting. I guess that my free hosting site is worth every penny that I've paid for it. Thanks also for the comments. I probably would have paid $50 otherwise.

Comment

not keen on this one, Workmanship looks pretty sloppy, a decent one should cost around US$100

Comment

Armband .....

How many do you want ..... ? I'll make you one. David

Comment

re

Originally posted by Stossgruppe3
                          How many do you want ..... ? I'll make you one. David
                          Or you just sell one of your weekly fakes
                          sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

re

Hello Monty
                            I agree with the earlier post on this thread
                            These are not so rare ,these are SA Armbands ,and easaly to purchase for about 50?75 $ depending condition or maybe some stamps/tags in it

The SS- armband that is a complete differnt story
                            the price I would say Differnce between 300/500 $
                            also depending early/late version ,jacket/greatcoat,condition ,stanps etc etc
                            sigpicalways seeking = BEVO Cap and breast insignia

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X