Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background SS Langemarck units - cufftitle

Hi, folks!
    I'm very interested in the historical background of those Waffen-SS units which were authorized to wear the Langemarck cufftitle until the end of the war?

I have wondered if the Langemarck cufftitle was just worn by the Flemish volunteers of the 27. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division „Langemarck"?
    ..or were there also German units which wore this cufftitle until the end of 1945?
    or at least Germans within the 27. "Langemarck" who wore this cufftitle without the volunteer lion shield?

I came across this photo which shows the German SS soldier Franz Kiener with a Langemarck cufftitle, of course also not wearing the volunteer shield on the sleeve. I guess the photo was taken around 1941/42 - Later he joined the "Das Reich" Division as a tanker, so from then on his Langemarck cufftitle changed to a "Das Reich" one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by EiSVOGEL'; 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM.

My question is, were there German SS soldiers who wore the Langemarck cufftitle until the end of the war?
    Perhaps could there be any possibility to find an untouched SS tunic with a Langemarck cufftitle present?

I would well appreciate if you share your knowledge, thanks!
    Cheers

Comment

Nobody any knowlegde about the Langemarck units? I even wondered if they fought until the end of the war?

Comment

Prior to the raise of the Flemish Sturmbrigade 'Langemarck', mid '43... the Standarte 'Langemarck' was a unit within the Div 'Das Reich'. This is also what your photos document.

Kind regards,
        Gerd V

Comment

Willy is correct. When Germania was transferred to the 5th SS Division Wiking in 1940, SS-Totenkopf Regiment 11 was re-designated SS-Infanterie Regiment (mot.) 4 Langemarck and replaced it as a formation is SS-Division Reich. There is also a book, by Jonathan Trigg, available of the history of the 27th SS-Freiwilligen Grenadier Division Langemarck (Flamische Nr 1) called "Hitler's Flemish Lions". This formation last saw combat on the Oder front in late April '45.

Mike

Comment

Thanks guys for these great information!
            I've also read something about that before, the soldiers of the SS-Totenkopf-Regiment 11 (motorisiert 4) were authorized to wear the Langemarck cufftitle, so this Regiment replaced the Germania within the Das Reich Division.
            But what I've also heard, the SS-Infanterie-Regiment 11 (motorisiert) "Langemarck" was almost completely decimated end of 1941 in Russia.
            The remnants of this "Langemarck" Regiment were assigned to the Regiments "Deutschland" and "Der Führer" am I right?

What I'd like to know, were there any German units since then (end of 1941) were authorized to wear the Langemarck cufftitle until the end of the war?
            Or was it only the 27. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division „Langemarck“ which started in 1944?

Thanks! Kevin

Comment

The langemarck cuff title was handed out as a honarary one to das Reich soldiers.They had so many casualties that it was compared with the german students in langemarck,belgium during the first world war .I used to know a soldier who got that cufftitel when serving das reich and survived the carnage.

Comment

Kevin,

SS-Infanterie Regiment (mot.) 4 Langemarck disappeared on re-organization of Reich to a SS-Panzer-Grenadier Division...which only had two panzer grenadier regiments (the senior regiments, Deutschland and Der Fuhrer, were retained). Langemarck's personnel were likely re-distributed throughout the Division at this point.

SS-Freiwilligen-Sturmbrigade Langemarck was formed 31 March 1943 and saw action soon after. It was later upgraded to divisional status but obviously never came close to this size before the war ended. This was technically not a German formation but it did comprise numerous German porsonnel.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X