ss camo cap: opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss camo cap: opinions

Hi, would like to have some opinions regarding this cap. The source is good, the price not so much. To me it has a nice look, but I admit I'm not very into good copies of it, so I'd like to be supported by someone else.
    I thank in advance any suggestion.

pic 2

Originally posted by MG42
    Hi, would like to have some opinions regarding this cap. The source is good, the price not so much. To me it has a nice look, but I admit I'm not very into good copies of it, so I'd like to be supported by someone else.
    I thank in advance any suggestion.

Comment

pic 2

Comment

Originally posted by mg42

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi MG42,

Here is my opinion, I have owned two of these caps sadly I sold one.

Plus Points

1. The construction is like an original, lack of air vents is not uncommon,there are well documented period photos showing camo caps without.

2. The areas of wear where the peak joins the cap are good.

Negative

1. The cap is made of two diffrent types of material the caps I have owned are all the same piece. The peak is in what seems to be duck cotton, the body of the cap in a more coarse material, I have owned a reproduction that was constructed of the same coarse material. There maybe good reason for the difference, the peak was replaced pre 1945?

2. I am not wholly convinced about the Insignia outline. The Camo caps with Insignia where only authorised for a brief period in 1942/43 then the insignia was ordered to be removed. What worries me is that whilst there is some fading it is not as pronounced as I would have expected if the cap was denazified in 1945. If the Insignia was removed in 1943 as per regulation, I think the soldier would have unpicked the remaining threads.

3. Artificial wear can be very convincing. A couple of years on a re-enactors head 1992-1995 will give you the same wear characteristics as on a Pz Grenadiers head 1942-45. Ihave seen re-enactors smocks which look very convincing after the same 2 0r 3 year period.

On balance if the price is cheap I would steer clear. These are hard to find caps. Current values are up to $3000 at least $1600 for one in the same condition as yours. Of course others I am sure will comment and no doubt will have different views

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Mark Thank you so much, just sent you a PM.
                  Daniele

Originally posted by Mark Holden
                  Hi MG42,

Here is my opinion, I have owned two of these caps sadly I sold one.

Plus Points

1. The construction is like an original, lack of air vents is not uncommon,there are well documented period photos showing camo caps without.

2. The areas of wear where the peak joins the cap are good.

Negative

1. The cap is made of two diffrent types of material the caps I have owned are all the same piece. The peak is in what seems to be duck cotton, the body of the cap in a more coarse material, I have owned a reproduction that was constructed of the same coarse material. There maybe good reason for the difference, the peak was replaced pre 1945?

2. I am not wholly convinced about the Insignia outline. The Camo caps with Insignia where only authorised for a brief period in 1942/43 then the insignia was ordered to be removed. What worries me is that whilst there is some fading it is not as pronounced as I would have expected if the cap was denazified in 1945. If the Insignia was removed in 1943 as per regulation, I think the soldier would have unpicked the remaining threads.

3. Artificial wear can be very convincing. A couple of years on a re-enactors head 1992-1995 will give you the same wear characteristics as on a Pz Grenadiers head 1942-45. Ihave seen re-enactors smocks which look very convincing after the same 2 0r 3 year period.

On balance if the price is cheap I would steer clear. These are hard to find caps. Current values are up to $3000 at least $1600 for one in the same condition as yours. Of course others I am sure will comment and no doubt will have different views

Cheers

Mark

Comment

This cap sure is a strange one, might it be field made????? or post war????, difficult to tell really

Comment

Ciao Gary,
                      I've sent you a Pm.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X