SS Uniform with two Totenkopfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Uniform with two Totenkopfs

Question for everyone. I collect items relating to PoWs in Canada and I have a photo of a mixed group, including what I believe to be a member of the SS. However, rather than having the typical SS and rank collars, he appears to have a Totenkopf on each collar.

I know that the Totenkopf division had the deaths head on one collar but I cannot find any reference to wearing one on both collars. The individual's uniform appears to have black collars and epaulettes and has the SS eagle on the left arm. The picture he is in was taken before mid-1942 so he was likely captured in North Africa or continental Europe.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

There are pictures of mirror totenkopfs in wear; mostly earlier in the war. He wasn't captured in Africa though, I'd bet.

Can you post the picture?

Comment

And if you can't post it, one of us will for you!!

Comment

Perfect, that makes sense! I didn't expect that he would have been captured in North Africa but you never know.

TP Alexander, I'm sending you a PM now. Thanks!

Comment

Pic for Michael...........You're welcome....No problema!
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again for posting the picture!

Comment

Reference

“I cannot find any reference to wearing one on both collars. The individual's uniform appears to have black collars and epaulettes and has the SS eagle on the left arm.”

From Angolia’s Cloth Insignia of the SS, 2nd Edition, 1989, Page 275: “When the army style shoulder straps were introduced, it was felt that the standard SS collar insignia of rank was no longer needed. Accordingly, around October 1939, it was ordered that the rank patch be removed as well as the older SS-VT unit patches that identified the wearer’s unit. For a short time, no insignia was worn at all by SS-VT.

For a period of time, from October 1939 until May 1940, when collar rank was re-introduced for wear, dual insignia was authorized. After May 1940, use of the dual collar insignia system was forbidden but a number of personnel continued the practice until late in the war.”

One can surmise that this order applied to the Totenkopf division as well.

Charles Betz
              Last edited by C. Betz; 09-20-2013, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X