BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to Sydney, AUS - any good shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heading to Sydney, AUS - any good shops?

¡Hola! I'm heading to Sydney, AUS from Houston, TX - any places to check for finds, bargains or just to gawk at the good stuff?
    Last edited by ppsh41; 10-13-2004, 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling

G'day,

Your out of luck these days in Sydney.If you have the time,its about a five hour drive from Sydney,you could have a look at Aussie Dave's stuff at the Cowra war museum,you will find that interesting.

Cheers,paul.j

Comment

One of the best Militaria joints in Aus IMO is 'I.S. Wright Militaria'. They have a shop at 156 Castlereagh st Sydney. The guys name is Dave Allen. It is mostly auction (great catalog). I have not been to the Sydney shop so I can't comment on it, however their Ballarat Store in Victoria is excellent.
      You must go to the Australian War Memorial (museum) Canberra, about 3 hours from Sydney. It is world class, you need a good three days to really see it all.

Comment

Hello

Originally posted by Mic Heinrich
        One of the best Militaria joints in Aus IMO is 'I.S. Wright Militaria'. They have a shop at 156 Castlereagh st Sydney. The guys name is Dave Allen. It is mostly auction (great catalog). I have not been to the Sydney shop so I can't comment on it, however their Ballarat Store in Victoria is excellent.
        You must go to the Australian War Memorial (museum) Canberra, about 3 hours from Sydney. It is world class, you need a good three days to really see it all.
        Yes pretty slim pickings around Sydney & I echo a visit to the AWM is a must.

Let me know if you need a guide or want to get together for a beer I'll be happy to oblige.
        Regards
        Craig
        Strong wind-magic mist, to Asgard the Valkries fly
        High overhead-they carry the dead, Where the blood of my enemies lies - MANOWAR - Hail to England

Comment

Hi there-
          Just to echo Mic's words, I.S. Wright is your best bet, but they are mainly auction people. I visited their shop whilst in Sydney and they did not have much in terms of German stuff in store. The bloke told me that they keep most of their stuff at their Victoria store. There are also a couple of small Militaria shops, but nothing special in terms of German Militaria.
          Hope you enjoy your time there, all the best

JimUK

Comment

Hope you enjoy you stay down under mate.

Comment

Anyway, don't forget to Report your militaria hunting!!

Comment

Thanx for all the help!

Krikey (sorry) - I'd hoped there'd be more stores but will visit Wright's. Won't have time for the 5 hour drive. Thanx again to all.

Comment

Have a nice trip but use your time for sightseeing and the like because as militaria goes....it's a desert! I grew up there and now prefer to go to Europe and attend fairs because as German goes...there is NOTHING here!

However....Sydney has nice shopping, a spectacular harbour and superb seafood....maybe take a ferry from the city to Manly and back.....you get a great tour of the harbour....and if you like zoos then there is one right across the harbour from the city which is the finest in the world. Loads to see and do .....just stuff-all militaria!
                  Cheers, have fun! Wade K.

Comment

I'll have to concur...Australia isnt the place to pick up up decent Third Reich material, you gotta remember that the Aussies really only encountered the Germans in the desert and Mediterranean (Crete etc) and almost all were back in the Pacific after 1943

Comment

Hi,

Wade's right... these days Sydney has very slim pickings as far as militaria goes. In the late 70's and early 80's every antique store in even the most remote towns had a few items of militaria but those days are long gone!
                      (One friend picked up a nice SS tunic complete with "Das Reich" cuff for $10 in '81 - another picked up a RK being sold as an EK2 at an antique fair in Morpeth in '83)

Wright's shop is worth the visit - you'll find a few repros mixed in with the good stuff and the prices are all over the place but ask at the counter (ask for Paddy) and whilst there is not heaps on display (they are mainly a coin dealer), there is fair bit more he keeps behind the counter.
                      After Wrights', head up George St towards central station and there is Joss Richardson Militaria (a couple of doors up from a collector gun store - no genuine stuff there). Joss's shop is well worth the visit - a bit cramped, and again best to ask if you are after something in particular. His prices are probably a bit cheaper than Wright's with probably a fair bit more stock.

It's a pity you can't get to Canberra... that memorial/museum is excellent - at least a whole day needed to get it all in.

Comment

Thanx once more

Thanx again to all -- That's part of the great spirit of this forum.
                        Best,
                        Tom

Comment

Have fun!

Good trip,
                          Junior.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X