SS Tag with 5 digits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Tag with 5 digits?

I thought a cardinal rule was that all SS tags had 6 digits. Here is one from the Collector's Guild with 5.
    Attached Files

No one has a comment on this?

Comment

Curt,
      IMO the collar tab pictured is authentic, and I do not have any problems with the RZM tag either. It is said amongst SS collecting circles that original RZM tags are supposed to have 6 numbers and while I believe this true 99% of the time, I don't think this is an absolute rule. The RZM tag pictured is the Gothic style as opposed to the Latin style, and I believe these predate 1938/39 and thus a time the SS was still growing and changing, so a 'annomaly' such is that would not be out-of-the question. Most importantly the tab is original...Best, John

Comment

Here is an SS officer's tab, with a different RZM tag, but the same construction as the one above...John
        Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Reverse

Reverse
          Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Hi John, nice tab.
            Curt, is there three or two strands making up the the bullion piping going around the tab. I'm not that concerned about the five digit number. Sonny

Comment

Thanks guys. This has been very educational. Up till now, I thought the 6 digit rule was absolute (and I don't think I was the only one who thought this since I have read it many times in this forum).

I guess the only absolutes in this hobby are that there are no absolutes.

Comment

It is true there are no absolutes in this game and you should never say never,I would though not be happy with a tag with 5 digits but that is just my personal opinion,
                cheers,
                Gary

Comment

I sent an email to Peter Whammond at Collector's Guild. Here is his response:
                  -------------

Hi Curt
                  I spent the last week hunting up photo's of RZM's tags.. and so far your bang on the money. To be safe, I'm just going to pull it and return it to the consignor.

I also e-mailed Dave Delich on this one.. his reply is below. Dave is my mentor on SS cloth.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. You saved me on this one. Don't be afraid to right if you ever see anything else that does not look correct.

Much appreciated
                  Warmest Regards
                  Peter

Peter,
                  Well, the tag has me stumped. I've looked at all of my paper RZM tags, and have yet to locate one bearing only a 5 digit set of numerals. The runes look a little strange as well. The imaginary line I spoke to you of before that you would draw down the inner leg of the upper rune and ditto for the lower leg should not run into any portion of the rune itself. In the case of these runes, that rule would not apply. I will NOT say that this a hard and fast rule, but it applies to every example I have and most all that I have seen. Is the bullion encrusted, as it appears to be in the photo, or is the photo just a little fuzzy? I'm attempting to determine if the piece looks legitimately or artificially aged. It seems also that the printing of the "No" or "Nr" to represent "number" is nowhere to be seen.

It seems as though you would be able to see at least a portion of it where the tag is damaged. Of course, this representation does vary in distance from the numerals from example to example. The trouble here is that some of the things that could help to determine something are missing. Personally, I would probably pass on the piece due to the "imaginary line" rule and the unconventional lack of numerals. Runic tabs are not that difficult to come by for one to invest is a possibly spurious piece. Just my thoughts on the subject...for what they are worth
                  Dave

Comment

I think I will stick with the 6 digit rule until someone comes up with an item that is unquestionably authentic and has a tag with 5 digits.

Comment

I would not have bought it based on the front. If you look at John's tab, it shows the look I like, Just my opinion,

Dave
                      DaveJ

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
                        I think I will stick with the 6 digit rule until someone comes up with an item that is unquestionably authentic and has a tag with 5 digits.
                        Good work and I respect Peter more for pulling them.

Comment

How does everyone feel about the "imaginary line" rule? The tab in question fails this test. The one John shows is a perfect example of the rule.

Is this also a 99% rule?

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
                            How does everyone feel about the "imaginary line" rule? The tab in question fails this test. The one John shows is a perfect example of the rule.

Is this also a 99% rule?
                            This rule is of course not 100%, just most SS officers runic patches follow this line theory, but it is a theory i use I may pass on original tabs but I am fussy when it comes to officers tabs, a few examples below
                            cheers,
                            Gary
                            Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:13 PM.

Comment

image 2
                              Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X