Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officers buckle and cap eagle opinions please

Hi Guys

Please could I ask you to cast your expert eyes over these 2 pieces that just landed from auction lots for a few $$?

The buckle appears to be a very fine condition early nickel silver Overhoff, the rim is polished up and the central section matte silver, looks hardly worn.

The eagle is very well worn brass and slightly bent to fit a cap, I can make out an RZM mark but no other mark on it.

Thanks in advance for opinions

Patrick
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

;;;
        Attached Files

Comment

Damn, that is one nice buckle. Looks to be mint with all of the original goldish/nickel paint finish, IMO. It is rare to find any nickel SS buckle that still has most of it's original paint, but an officer's buckle like this one is absolutely breathtaking. A true gem. Congrats!

As for the eagle, it is a fake, sorry.

Chris

Comment

eagle-crap

Comment

From what I recall, the buckle, if it is gilt, would be for SS-Polizei . . . and in that configuration, would be a very early version at that - quite rare, I think.

Comment

no probleme for the buckle

Comment

I don't believe that this is the SS police gold. Most, if not all nickel SS belt buckles that were not SS police buckles were still originally painted with a color that had a slight goldish tone mixed with a bit of gray and it looks like this one, IMO. You will also find this paint on the nickel SS overseas cap skull buttons. This also includes SS EM buckles too. I have a few buttons and buckles with this paint still remaining myself. The earliest nickel officer's SS buckles had a thicker and darker gray paint, but this was quickly replaced with the gold/gray paint like you see here. Also, here is a picture of a skull button from another member here that has this same paint.

Anyway, I will say again, it's a killer buckle!

Chris
                  Attached Files

Comment

Buckle is awsome. Rare and desireable

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector View Post
                      I don't believe that this is the SS police gold. Most, if not all nickel SS belt buckles that were not SS police buckles were still originally painted with a color that had a slight goldish tone mixed with a bit of gray and it looks like this one, IMO. You will also find this paint on the nickel SS overseas cap skull buttons. This also includes SS EM buckles too. I have a few buttons and buckles with this paint still remaining myself. The earliest nickel officer's SS buckles had a thicker and darker gray paint, but this was quickly replaced with the gold/gray paint like you see here. Also, here is a picture of a skull button from another member here that has this same paint.

Anyway, I will say again, it's a killer buckle!

Chris
                      Good tip - Thanks!

Comment

awesome! good luck and hope you grab that buckle.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X