Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numbered tabs regs change ?

Need insignia guru help

I doing my "Totenkopf" German Cross volume, especially in the HUMONGOUS chapter of Combat Elements, have a rather large number of prewar images.

Though clear and will be when printed, some details can't be seen.

The Arabic numbered tabs I often can't determine piping, etc.

And I assume regulations ignored as much as followed.

Were the numbered tabs for <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <wontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <wontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <wontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="******45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->a Hundertschaft (I have up to number 20) at least supposed to be discarded when an Arabic number was designated for each Totenkopfstandarte ?? With the Totenkopfstandarten created in July 1937, would that be the approximate change date for regs ?

Hope I'm explaining myself properly. Numbers above 4 are easy, but hard in images to tell if a man shown was with the 1.Hunderatschaft or if the "1" indicates all of "Oberbayern." Roman for Sturmbann are easy and have images for all those.

The attached drives me nuts, depending on day I see an "11" or "14"
    Attached Files

The photograph you show almost definitely shows a member of the 11th Hundertschafte and the early skull indicates a date prior to early 1936.
    At this time the Hundertschaften were numbered almost randomly across the Wachverbaende and 11 was a member of 'Oberbayern'.
    The system of using Hundertschaften was not discarded in 1937 but it was modified with the Hundertschaften being numbered consequently across the three new regiments starting with Oberbayern. At this point there were 32 Hundertschaften.
    To complicate matters the system was altered again in 1938.
    The numbers disappear in 1939 and were formally discontinued in May, 1940 although a 1942 price list from Dachau still contains them.
    Hope this helps,
    Derek

Comment

Thanks Derek

So appears I can't date images by numbers due to gray areas and overlap, but must be clear enough to determine skull type.

Most I can date by rank, etc but a few hit a border area, though some I know what type command they had and no printed document has what Hunderatschaft but confirmation made by the image.

To a degree I'm rather glad only 2-3 dozen portraits are of the type. Worse is wartime where I can't see pips on boards and they wear dual Totenkopf tabs.

Best and thanks again,
      Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X