Totenkopf Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totenkopf Tabs

What are your opinions one these tabs? the one appears larger than the other because it's curled up a bit
    Last edited by Ken B.; 03-02-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Comment

Hi Ken, In my opinion, I would pass on these tabs. I believe they lack the associated quality of officer grade Totenkopf insignia.

Comment

J ll have to agree with Ken, stay away !

Comment

That doesn't look like real moth damage either. Looks more like the acid-spitting Normandy barn moths.

Comment

Ken,

I would also pass on these,

cheers,

Gary

Comment

Nobody likes these tabs, Ken! And even though they have been
                featured in every book on the SS you ever stared at for long hours
                late into the night, they are bad...

...I have a pair too...

Comment

Originally posted by CurtD
                  That doesn't look like real moth damage either. Looks more like the acid-spitting Normandy barn moths.
                  Absolutely correct. Moth damage does not look like that. Also moths often do light surface knap eating called tracking which is usually seen in combination with the regular chewing. However, with that said , I am told fakers will put real items in boxes with moths. So even real mothing is not always a guarentee of authenticity by any means.

Comment

Clothes moths and Velvet

Originally posted by nutmeg
                    Absolutely correct. Moth damage does not look like that. Also moths often do light surface knap eating called tracking which is usually seen in combination with the regular chewing. However, with that said , I am told fakers will put real items in boxes with moths. So even real mothing is not always a guarentee of authenticity by any means.
                    Were the SS officer collar tabs always made of WOOL velvet, or did they use silk? Everyone knows that they like to dine on doeskin, but are clothes moths known to have a strong appetite for velvet?

Comment

Velvet and moleskin are cellulose based material where as Badge cloth (felt) and doeskin are animal fibre, not only moths eat insignia beetles and an array of other insects also will have a go.
                      cheers,
                      Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood
                        Velvet and moleskin are cellulose based material where as Badge cloth (felt) and doeskin are animal fibre, not only moths eat insignia beetles and an array of other insects also will have a go.
                        cheers,
                        Gary
                        Okay, so am I to understand that velvet and moleskin are not to a moth's (or beetle's) usual liking, whereas felt and doeskin obviously always are?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X