X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS rank collar tab question!

Hi all,

Can anyone explain why there wasn't an SS rank tab that had one pip
    and four stripes? This has always seemed odd to be.
    Thanks! Chris

Originally posted by SScollector
    Hi all,

Can anyone explain why there wasn't an SS rank tab that had one pip
    and four stripes? This has always seemed odd to be.
    Thanks! Chris
    Chris,
    what????? why would there be a rank tab like this?
    cheers,
    Gary

Comment

I think Chris is referring to the question of pattern that are in the SS ranks. For example, in the SS-Männer rank level, it consists of SS-Mann, Sturmmann, Rottenführer. And the stripes corresponding to the these ranks are none, two and four stripes respectively. The same pattern is also found in the level of SS-Unterführer mit Portepee that consists of SS-Oberscharführer, Hauptscharführer and Sturmscharführer. And the stripes corresponding to these ranks are none, two and four stripes respectively. The same pattern goes from SS-Untersturmführer to Haupsturmführer: None, two and four stripes respectively. In the SS-Unterführer ohne Portepee level, however, the maximum count goes only to two stripes. I think this is what Chris is trying to ask.

Chris, the pattern I'm mentioning above seems to also be broken off in the rank from SS-Sturmbannführer to Standartenführer. In that, the four stripes pattern is not carried over after Sturmbannführer. It's also the same in the US military, silver oakleaf cluster for Lt.Col. then the pattern switches to the silver bird (correct terminology?) for Colonel. I'm not sure about the origin of this tradition; other members might be able to help you.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Yes, that is the question I was asking.
        It's like an inconsistency in the build up, of pips and stripes,
        but I know there must be a reason for this, and that is what I am
        trying to find out. Best, Chris

Comment

Rank Structure

Chris,
          I think I understand the question that you are asking, so I will try to answer the best I can. First, you have to remember that the SS inherited their rank system from the SA, so it's not simply an SS question. As for the progression of ranks, you have to remember how a military rank structure works. You have the enlisted soldiers, non-commissioned officer's, and officer's, which can be broken up into field grade and general officer ranks.
          The enlisted ranks are you SS-Schuetze (E-1), SS-Oberschuetze (E-2), SS-Sturmmann (E-3), and SS-Rottenfuehrer (E-4) which is essentially a corporal and could be actually considered an NCO. Then their is a break in the sequence as you have the true NCO's, and this is why you would see the progression of the 'stripes stop'. Just to clarfiy at this point, the rank of SS-Sturmmann has one stripe, although can look like two, but is actually one piece of aluminum rank litzen with a black strip in the middle, and SS-Rottenfuehrer is two 'stripes' or rank litzen.
          The NCO ranks are SS-Unterscharfueher (E-5), SS-Scharfuehrer (E-6), SS-Oberscharfuehrer (E-7), SS-Hauptscharfuehrer (E-8), and SS-Sturmscharfuehrer (E-9). Then there is a break in sequence again as we move to the officer ranks.
          The officer ranks are SS-Untersturmfuehrer (O-1), SS-Obersturmfuehrer (0-2), and SS-Hauptsturmfuehrer (O-3). Again, there is a break in the sequence as these are your typical company (Sturm) grade officers. Then you have a new progression at SS-Sturmbannfuehrer (O-4), SS-Obersturmbannfuehrer (O-5). The progression again stops, as these are your battalion (Sturmbann) level officer's. The remainder of the officer's are the general rank officers and follow a new and natural progression from SS-Standartenfuehrer to SS-Oberstgruppenfuehrer. Hope this helps...John

Comment

Thanks John!

That answers my question.
            However, I have one other question.
            How do you tell the difference between an SS-Schütze and an SS-Oberschütze?
            Aren't their tabs the same?
            Thanks again! Chris

Comment

SS Insignia

Hello SScollector,
              I'm glad that you found my resonse helpful...I'm going to go out on a limb here, but judging by your forum name, I am going to guess you are an SS collector. Do you own any books on the SS, historical or hobby related? If not, I can recommend several in each category that you might find helpful...Best, John

Comment

Hi,

Yes, I own several books on the SS. None have answered these questions.
                Best,
                Chris

Comment

SS Reference Material

Hello Chris,
                  To answer your question, the difference in rank between an SS-Schuetze and SS-Oberschuetze is denoted by the wear of an embroidered silver-grey rank pip on a piece of circular black wool and was worn on the lower left sleeve...Here are few books that you will find helpful. Best, John

SS Insignia, Angolia
                  SS Uniforms Vol 1-6, Mollo
                  SS Uniforms Vol 1-3, Beaver
                  W-SS Camo Uniforms, Beaver
                  Cloth 3rd Reich Headgear, Wilkins
                  SS Steel (Helmets), Hicks - due out this month

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X