SS visor cap eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS visor cap eagle

Hello fellow collectors, can you please tell me what you think of this eagle. In my opinion it's a reproduction.... but, I am not sure yet. Help is welcome...
    Attached Files

The back looks suspicious to me...
    Attached Files

Comment

...Its a repro in my opinion! Its a poor cast repro! Bad detailing!

/Felix

Comment

Yes... the feathers on his/her breast are poorly detailed... and the material is not so strong as real ones... It bents more easily.

Comment

The eagle is a cast fake of the 155/36 eagle,
          cheers,
          Gary

Comment

Actually, I believe this is cast from a Deschler eagle. It has the Deschler head.
            The Assmann's have a rounded beak.
            Best, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SScollector
              Actually, I believe this is cast from a Deschler eagle. It has the Deschler head.
              The Assmann's have a rounded beak.
              Best, Chris
              Chris,
              I think you will find it is rzm ss marked 155/36
              cheers,
              Gary

Comment

here is another picture of the same type of fake
                Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

and here is another example of the same fake, they are also now altering the year date on this fake
                  Last edited by Gary Wood; 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Hi Gary,
                    I know it is marked 155, but they probably used a Deschler, (or a 394/35 which looks very similar to the Deschlers), for the front side of the casting and an Assmann for the back. I have seen this plenty of times, (the wrong eagle fronts that do not match the backs). You'll see this on the buckles as well.
                    I have seen many repros of the Overhoff pattern SS officer's buckles with the Emil Juttner back, etc. Of course, it's possible that it could just be the way it came out in the casting, but I seriously doubt that.
                    It is clearly the other style front. The chest feathers are also different on the Assmanns. Best, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Wood
                      Chris,
                      I think you will find it is rzm ss marked 155/36
                      cheers,
                      Gary

IMO when you see new pins soldered in next to the stubs of previous
                      pins like that it is probably a fake casting of a fake. Especially since
                      the old stubs are so rounded off and the detail is so poor all over the
                      rest of the eagle. Who knows how many castings back you would have
                      to go to get to the original bird, which may have had it's pins intact.

Comment

It has donned on me that this type of fake may not be meant to
                        deceive. You have to admit that it would be that much more convincing
                        if the old stubs were ground off and the new pins were soldered in
                        directly in their place. As they are, it is an obvious give-away and
                        should fool no one with any experience at all.

Comment

Well, the eagle I posted was once bought from Helmut Weitze.... in my less experienced days.
                          It has no marking what so ever.... the pins are the give a away.. I wished all fakes were like that.

Is true that originals are much studier than reproductions?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred
                            It has no marking what so ever.... the pins are the give a away.. I wished all fakes were like that.

Is true that originals are much studier than reproductions?

fred,
                            I know you have the eagle in your hand, but if you look in the lower wings on the left side you should see 155/36, i can see traces of marking in your picture above,
                            cheers,
                            Gary

Comment

Yes, you are right!! It says 155/36....Great work Gary!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X